Thanks Stefan,
that kinda gels with my feeling on it. Maintaining a branch for a long beta cycle can be painful but maintaining development thru a long beta without branches can be even more so. If there are a bunch of patches coming thru to go against HEAD - ie new features that wouldn't make the release, it becomes very difficult to manage them all while the current release is finalised and there is a big risk of those changes being lost.

Ian