> Perhaps it would be more efficient to hold off on the patch until more
> people have provided feedback, and until we've decided it in more detail.
> I'd hate to see your efforts go to waste ...

My 0.02 PLN:

1. I don't think merging can be done in a generic way (neither on xml level
nor at the object level)
<xsltparameter> and similar objects and I suggest we focused on filesets
only.
3. Maybe we should start by implementing it the simple way: Make "includes"
and "excludes" support filesets (both referenced and nested):

<fileset basedir="dir.a">
        <includes file="aaa.txt" />
        <includes fileset="r1" />
        <includes>
                <fileset basedir="dir.b">
                        <includes file="bbb.txt" />
                </fileset>
        </includes>
        <excludes fileset="r2" />
        <excludes>
                <fileset basedir="dir.c">
                        <includes file="ccc.txt" />
                </fileset>
                <includes fileset="r3" />
        </excludes>
</fileset>

4. This approach has the nice property of being side-effect-free - it can be
used in all places where a <fileset> is expected. I'm not sure how would
<fileset ... redefinemode="Append"> behave in this case.

5. Let's keep it simple and I hope that the idea I've presented for nested
<fileset>s is simple enough.

Jarek