Ian,

After giving it some more thought, I think the "install" target of the makefile should install the pre-built binaries and docs for official NAnt distributions, not and rebuild the binaries from source. We went to a lot of trouble in order to have a single binary distribution, and I'd hate to see all that effort go to waste.

For users building NAnt from cvs, the "install" target of the make file should ofcourse build NAnt, and install the freshly built binaries (and docs).

To accomplish this, we need either two different makefiles or a single makefile which we adjust during packaging using the replacetokens or replacestring filters. How would you go about this ?

Also, the install targets in the NAnt build file should no longer depend on other build/doc targets (but they should just install whatever files are available in ${build.dir} (limited to bin, doc and examples directories). The dependency on other NAnt build target should be taken care of in the makefile.

For building from cvs, our make file would have these install targets:

install:
if test x$(OS) = xWindows_NT; then make install-windows; else make install-linux; fi

install-windows:
$(NANT) -f:NAnt.build package install-windows -D:install.prefix=$(prefix)

install-linux:
$(NANT) -f:NAnt.build build install-linux -D:install.prefix=$(prefix)

While the makefile for official distribution would have the following install targets (it would get the binaries/docs from the distribution itself):

install:
if test x$(OS) = xWindows_NT; then make install-windows; else make install-linux; fi

install-windows:
$(NANT) -f:NAnt.build install-windows -D:install.prefix=$(prefix) -D:build.dir=.

install-linux:
$(NANT) -f:NAnt.build install-linux -D:install.prefix=$(prefix) -D:build.dir=.

What do you think about this ?