Bob,

I ran into a similar problem when I installed the Subversion 1.5 client.
First, check your installation directory very closely.  I found that
different Subversion 1.5 installers and/or .zip files put the binary
files in different places (e.g. in ../bin or NOT).  I ended up with two
sets of binary files in different locations.  The various command shells
that I was using (cmd.exe and Korn shell) were looking in different
places for the binaries, so I'd get a different client using  the <exec>
command vs. executing directly from the command line.

If you use TortiseSVN  and upgrade to the latest version:  TortiseSVN
has IT'S OWN copy of Subversion 1.5, so Subversion commands that worked
in TortiseSVN behave differently from the command line version.

I'd suggest to check you installs first and see what that reveals.

Ken Parrish