*** Save Time & Money ***
Outsource Your Software Development at Elance
Post Your Project for FREE. Click Here.
http://click.topica.com/caaain3b1ddNBb2HgmNa/eLance

We Have Many Voices - Native American Ezine

Announcment From The bi-monthly ezine "We Have Many Voices"
We have updated our website where we bring you the news behind the news.

A brief description of each article is listed below, and you may read
them in their entirety at our web page:
We Have Many Voices Ezine
http://www.turtletrack.org/ManyVoices/

Juvenile Justice in Montana
by Ruth Steinberger, Lakota Journal

Revelations of extensive use of pepper spray against Indian youth in Pine
Hills Juvenile Correctional Facility in Miles City, Montana, surfaced
earlier this year when five Native American youth were moved to an adult
facility following an incident at the juvenile facility.

The assault charges against Turntoes and four other Native American boys
stemmed from an incident on May 11, 2000, at Pine Hills in which Turntoes
had obtained an empty can of pepper spray and attempted to fire it at
guards. No staff were injured in the attempted spraying by the youth,
however Turntoes was charged as an adult with assault and was transferred to
an adult jail, along with four other Native American youth. The incident
followed a two year period in which Turntoes had been pepper sprayed at
least ten times by guards and staff at the facility.

And Justice for Some
by Vicki Lockard

Once again, the juvenile justice system in South Dakota has made headlines.
Last week, the case of seventeen year old Adelia Godfrey brought to light
the distressing realities of the dual system that seems to flourish in South
Dakota.

A member of the Sisseton-Wahpeton Dakota Nation, of South Dakota, Adelia was
removed from her basement cell to a juvenile facility.

Adelia Godfrey's placement in the windowless cell in Milbank angered the
tribe and youth advocates. She faces felony charges for allegedly assaulting
officers at a jail and may be sent to an adult prison. If convicted, she
could be sentenced to 30 years in prison.

Fightin' Whities gain national attention
Story By Julio Ochoa, Greeley Tribune

Solomon Little Owl hasn't had much rest since Monday.

That's when the national media began calling about his University of
Northern Colorado intramural basketball team named The Fightin' Whities.

Since then, Little Owl, team member and leader of UNC's Native American
Student Services, has answered phone calls from talk shows and news
organizations around the country.

"The attention is overwhelming," Little Owl said. "It's gone beyond all of
our intentions."

THE LONG RED ROAD - A Poem
by Kay Onefeather

Enviro-Rants From an All Natural Soapbox
by Jamie Lockard

Greetings once again my faithful flock. I don't feel very well today, so I
will dispense with the pleasantries and get right down to business. I am
aggravated this afternoon for many reasons. Work sucks, I don't feel well,
the Earth is going to Hell in a Hand-basket, etc, etc. (I tend to get a
little pessimistic when I am sick so bear with me). I am really aggravated
with many of the so-called "environmental activist groups". Let me tell you
why.

The Environment Our Children Live In - Part Two
by Kasey Wolf Weaver

The national statistic is staggering if you think about it. One in five
children in America live in poverty. Most of these children are of American
Indian, Hispanic or African American descent. Three to four million of these
children, one out of every four, live within one mile of a hazardous waste
site.

Exposure to toxic chemicals has become a daily part of life for many
children. The chemicals are all around, in the air they breathe, the food
they eat, the water they drink and the soil they live on. It's even in the
toys they play with.

Environmental Alerts
collected by Kasey WolfWeaver

Upcoming Opportunities
collected by Kasey WolfWeaver

Craft Series - Regalia - Outerwear - Abenaki and Chippewa

by Lynne Sageflower Pennington

Over the next several months I will be starting to do articles on American
Indian Regalia. My plans are to do the basic clothing. I wish I could cover
every tribe but it would take a book to do every tribe.

When it comes to regalia we want to be as authentic as possible. Due to poor
preservation of articles and the limitation in archaeological research
sometimes we must rely on paintings, photographs or written text to give us
descriptions on what our ancestors wore.

The "Stoic" Indian
by Paul Barry
In each issue, you will find a funny story here. Perhaps, even a true story
or one with a moral.

Voices" in the body of the email.

Thank you!
The Many Voices Staff,

Lynne Pennington, Webmaster, Arts and Crafts
Donna Ennis, Health Issues
Kasey Weaver, Environmental and Health Issues
Jamie Lockard, Environmental Issues
Raven Weaver, News Research & Administration
Vicki Lockard, Legal & Political Issues
Paul Barry, Go-Fer

"We Have Many Voices" is a free, bi-weekly, online Newsletter addressing
issues of interest to Native Americans, Alaska Natives, and First Nations
people. We do not provide subscriber or visitor names to anyone. Some
articles presented in "We Have Many Voices" may contain copyright material.
We have received appropriate permissions for republishing any articles.
Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monetary gain to
those who have expressed an interest. This is in accordance with Title 17
U.S.C. section 107 Fair Use doctrine of international copyright law.

"We Have Many Voices" is a copyright © 2001 of Lynne Pennington, Kasey
Weaver,
Raven Weaver, Donna Ennis, Jamie Lockard, Paul Barry and Vicki Lockard.

The creator of this web-based guide earns six figures a
year from his basement. Come read this unique guide for
free right now, and discover exactly how you can make YOUR
living online. (It's easier than you might think.)
http://click.topica.com/caaahVxb1ddNBb2HgmNf/make-a-living-online

Visit and show your support for the Grass Roots Oyate
http://members.tripod.com/GrassRootsOyate

Clemency for Leonard Peltier. Sign the Petition.
http://petitiononline.com/Release/petition.html

This email was sent to: archive@jab.org