And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Source:
<A
HREF="http://206.103.163.1/sunbin/stories/archives/1999/feb/10/508395395.ht ml
ml">http://206.103.163.1/sunbin/stories/archives/1999/feb/10/508395395.html
</A>
February 10, 1999

So. California backs bill on radioactive water tailings

By Mary Manning
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
LAS VEGAS SUN

The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California Board has endorsed a
congressional bill requiring the Department of Energy to remove 10.5 million
tons of radioactive mill tailings, 600 feet from the Colorado River, near
Moab, Utah.

A major portion of Southern California's tap water is drawn from the Colorado
River, about 650 miles downstream from the Utah site, Mark Beuhler, MWD
director of water quality, said. The river also serves Nevada and Arizona
residents.

"Our tap water is safe today, but we're concerned about the future," Beuhler
said after the board approved the resolution Tuesday. "Merely covering this
dangerous dump won't keep the uranium from reaching the river."

The Southern Nevada Water Authority has increased testing for radionuclides in
Lake Mead, the Las Vegas Valley's major supply of drinking water.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission suggested leaving the radioactive pile in
place and capping it. The NRC is expected to decide on a solution in May.

But environmentalists and Utah officials are worried that a major flood could
wash the pile into the river, contaminating it. The tailings are residue from
a commercial mill that processed uranium ore for defense and other government
uses from 1956 until it closed in 1984.

Polluted ground water under the pile is leaking into the river at about 50
gallons a minute. The DOE's Oak Ridge National Laboratory estimates that if
covered, the site would continue to seep almost 4 gallons per minute for more
than 200 years. That equates to 57,600 gallons a day going into the Colorado
River.

More than 12 members of the House of Representatives co-sponsored a bill this
year that would require the DOE to remove the pile spread across 130 acres.

DOEWatch List  ---  Subscribe online:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/doewatch
Quote from Truman's diary July 25, 1945:  "We have discovered the most
terrible bomb in the history of the world.  It may be the fire destruction
prophesized in the Euphrates Valley Era, after Noah and his fabulous Ark.
Anyway we think we have found the way to cause the disintegration of the
atom."

"The Doctor of the future will give No Medicine, but will interest his
patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and
prevention of disease."
-Attributed to Thomas Alva Edison