And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

EarthWINS Daily #4.8
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Recipients of 'mining-exchange' Mailinglist)
2/17/99

Contents

1. WISCONSIN: Nashville web site
  a. Nashville Chairman Responds to Nicolet Minerals' Spokesman
  b. Leveling the Playing Field by Using the Internet
2. USA Today & NY Times on 1872 Mining Law
3. U.N. Spokesperson for Native Americans
4. ENVIRONMENT-ECUADOR: Indigenous Communities Seek More Reserves
5. Ted Turner Interview in E Magazine
6. Excerpts: GREENLines Issue #817
  a. Op-Ed Buries Okefenokee Deal
  b. Only Two Species Recovered from Valdez Spill

Stop the Siege!
Help the citizens of Nashville, Wisconsin
Tax-deductible contributions may be made to
Town of Nashville Legal Defense Fund
c/o Chuck Sleeter / Joanne Tacopina
P.O. Box 106
Pickerel, WI 54465

FAX: 715-478-2527

http://www.nashvillewiundersiege.com/index.html
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

1. WISCONSIN: Nashville web site

a. Nashville Chairman Responds to Nicolet Minerals

TOWN OF NASHVILLE
P.O. Box 106
Pickerel, WI 5445
Phone: 715-478-2524 OR 715-484-4501

February 15, 1999

Dear Editor,

I would like to respond to two statements that Dale Alberts of Nicolet
Minerals, Co. made during his interview with the Associated Press in
regards to the Town of Nashville Legal Defend Fund site on the internet.

First, Mr. Alberts stated that Nicolet Minerals was willing to renegotiate
the Local Agreement contract that the former town board signed with the
mining company.

In August, this past year, NMC was invited to a town board meeting and the
current town board asked NMC if they were willing to renegotiate the
agreement. The town proposed sending the company the proposed changes in
writing and allowing NMC 30 days to respond. The question put before NMC
was, "Are you willing to renegotiate the local agreement?". Dale Alberts
stated three times, at that meeting, that NMC would not renegotiate rthe
agreement. It surprises myself and other board members that Mr. Alberts
would make such a statement to the press six months later.

Second, Mr. Albert's stated that this dispute that the town has with NMC,
"need not be played out in the courtroom. It could be played out across the
kitchen table."

This statement sums up the problems that the residents in Nashville have
had with NMC and with Exxon right from the beginning. We in Nashville do
not "play out" anything across a kitchen table. We do everything openly in
public meetings where the townspeople can see and hear what is taking
place.

We are currently involved in an open meetings violation lawsuit which
charges the former town board members with 16 open meeting violations in
regards to this local agreement. The public was continuously shut out of
the negotiating process prior to the signing of the agreement. The former
board members will stand trial in June, 1999.

As a matter of fact, Rio Algom and Exxon have already "played out" events
across "the kitchen table". On April 4, 1997, three days after the current
town board had been elected into office, the former board held a closed
meeting at the home of the town treasurer. There was no posting of this

meeting and no minutes were recorded. We have been told by the former board
that this meeting was attended by the entire former board and the former
town attorney. The purpose, we're told, was to discuss how to keep the
current board from taking office.

However, the former town attorney billed the town $2,362.50 for that
meeting at the treasurer's home and the bill was later paid by Rio Algom,
Ltd. and Exxon Minerals, co owners of the Crandon Mining Company.

Mr. Alberts and Nicolet Minerals have not been able to figure out that we
no longer do business like that in Nashville. This board is committed to
open and honest government. And it is because Nicolet Minerals operates in
such a fashion that we need everyone's help and support.

Sincerely,

Chuck Sleeter
Nashville Town Chairman

b. EDITORIAL: Leveling the Playing Field by Using the Internet

posted at http://www.nashvillewiundersiege.com/

Date: February 12, 1999

Appleton Post-Crescent
Appleton, Wisconsin
920-993-1000
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Permission to reprint given per Dan Flannery, deputy managing editor,
February 16, 1999
For subscriptions to the Appleton Post Crescent, visit

http://www.wisinfo.com/postcrescent

Our Views

These days David vs. Goliath battles that usually are easily won by Goliath
can become more equal on the Internet. At least, that's what the Town of
Nashville is hoping to accomplish by creating a Web site to raise funds in
its battle to keep a proposed copper and zinc mine out of Forest County.

So far, so good. The town has generated more than $1,000 in donation since
the Web site debuted on Monday.

We're not saying we agreem with the pro-mine and anti-mine forces, but we
do give credit where it's due, and that's to the leadership that decided to
use the Internet to level the monetary playing field a little. By reaching
out to the entire world of computer users, they have gone beyond the
financial resources of Forest County, a very rural spot in northern
Wisconsin.

The town hopes to raise at least $50,000 for the expected fight against
Nicolet Minerals. The town last year voted to rescind an earlier agreement
that supported the mine's development and gave financial benefits to the
town. There is little doubt that this matter will end up in court, and
there is less doubt that a protracted court battle would be prohibitively
expensive for a town with little or no industrial or retail base.

Even $50,000 wouldn't put the Town of Nashville on the same level as
Nicolet Minerals. But maybe it would make the company sweat a little more.

Using the Internet for these purposes is exciting and encourages other
"underdogs" to not give up the fight either.

Yes, technology can be used for the right purposes.

2. USA Today & NY Times on 1872 Mining Law

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:58:57 EST

Earlier this month, the U.S. Forest Service announced a
mining moratorium on 429,000 acres along the Rocky Mountain Range in
Montana.

Since that time both the New York Times and USA Today have printed supporting
editorials including strong calls for review and modernization of the 1872
Mining Law. The following text is from the USA TODAY  In a seperate e-mail,
I am sending you the text from the New York Times commentary.

I think this would be a good time for all of us to contact our federal
legislators and demand that the time is NOW to press this issue.

Tom Wilson

[USA TODAY]
> [...]
>mining access to 430,000 acres of Montana wilderness has the industry fuming
>over lost wealth. To which the correct response is: tough.
>
>Montana's Front Range is one of the last unsullied ecosystems in the northern
>Rockies, a great drift of grassland and forest reaching from the Continental
>Divide to the Great, Plains. Grizzly bears still range out onto the prairie;
>elk still forage the forests. What possible excuse is there for selling it at
>$5 an acre?
>
>The usual tired excuses just aren't convincing. Sure, mining creates jobs and
>taxes. But the industry doesn't need federal subsidies to do that. Indeed,
>given the industry's economic, strength, the least it could do is pay a
>royalty on the resources it extracts. The gas and oil industry creates jobs
>and generates tax revenue, and invests in exploration and pays royalties and
>still makes a bundle.
>
>More to the point, the land-grabs authorized by the anachronistic 1872 Mining
>Law are so outlandish that jobs and taxes are beside the Point: Taxpayers are
>getting snookered.
>
>In 1994, American Barrick Resources, a Canadian firm, purchased almost 2,000
>acres of public land in Nevada, containing an estimated $10 billion in gold,
>for less than $ 10,000. Since 1993, the government has been obliged to sell
>land containing an estimated $15 billion in minerals for a punk $26,000. All
>told, 3.2 million acres containing an estimated $230 billion in hard-rock
>minerals have been sold at $5 an acre. Add the claims staked by prospectors
>and speculators, and more than 11 million acres of public land have either
>been bought at $5 per acre or less, or claimed for $25 upfront and $100
annual
>rent.
>
>For its part, the industry is worried less about a few mines in the Rockies
>than with the threat that other land will be similarly withdrawn. But what
>else can responsible stewards do? Lawmakers should be furious over the
>squandering of public wealth, but the industry invests heavily in Washington.
>In 1997 and 1998, it spent an estimated $ 10 million on lobbying and
political
>contributions. Result: Every effort to reform the mining law has failed.
>
>After decades of playing cozy with developers, federal land managers have
>started to wise up. New rules to hold mining companies accountable for
>cleanups and to restrict logging roads are welcome attempts to rebalance
>resource use with conservation. But besides all that, this fight isn't about
>national security or economic stability or land-use theory. The only question
>here is: How much longer will the taxpayer be played for a sucker?

>In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed
>without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in
>receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes

[NY TIMES]
>Mr. Dombeck's Vision.
>
>Near the end of his State of the Union address, President Clinton outlined a
>politically ambitious, plan to protect America's natural treasures - its
>parks, wilderness areas and national forests. Skeptics wondered how much of
>this grandly named "Lands Legacy Initiative" was real and how much was
>rhetoric, and whether Mr. Clinton had the will to steer his ideas through a
>Congress that has often been hostile to environmental initiatives. Then, last
>week, came a reassuring down payment on the President's pledge. In a
speech in
>Missoula, Mont., Mike Dombeck, the head of the Forest Service, announced a
ban
>on mining activities along the 100-mile Rocky Mountain Front, one of the
>richest wilderness areas in the lower 48 states.
>
>The announcement was important apart from its value as an indication of Mr.
>Clinton's seriousness. To begin with, it will protect one of the jewels of
>America's natural landscape, a rugged cascade of limestone and shale
extending
>100 miles south Of the Canadian border and. tilting eastward to the plains.
>The front shelters a spectacular array of wildlife - e1k, mountain goats and
>grizzlies - and interlaced with famous trout streams. It also offers a
>tempting target for companies seeking minerals like gold, silver, and copper.
>
>The announcement was also a clear signal that the Administration intends to
>use its administrative powers to cushion the impact of the 1872 Mining
Law, an
>environmentally destructive relic that Congress has repeatedly refused to
>change.  The law allows companies to stake claims to unprotected Federal
lands
>and, if minerals are found, to take title for a few dollars an acre.  The law
>does not require companies to show that the mining operation will not cause
>unacceptable damage to the environment, nor does it require them to clean up
>afterward. The net result is a legacy of abandoned mines, mountains of
>poisonous wastes and thousands of miles of dead streams.
>
>        Mr. Dombeck's announced ban will stop the mining companies before
>they can
>get started.
>
>Technically, this will require Bruce Babbitt, whose Interior Department
>oversees mining, to impose a moratorium on new claims. Mr. Babbitt will
>happily do so. He detests the mining law, and has already imposed a hard-rock
>mining ban on thousands of acres north of Arizona's Grand Canyon.
>
>Finally, Mr. Dombeck's announcement is further evidence that he means to
>transform the culture of the Forest Service and make it an ally rather
than an
>enemy of environmental values. For years, the service has been a willing
>captive of the logging industry it is meant to regulate and an eager servant
>of Western Congressmen who are far more-interested in harvesting trees
than in
>saving them. An. internal audit released last Friday revealed that the
service
>had done a generally poor job of monitoring private logging operations on

>Federal lands and preventing damage to watersheds and wildlife habitat.
>
>In his two years on the job, Mr. Dombeck has made several important if modest
>changes. But his speech promises much more, including a moratorium on new
>roads in the roadless portions of the national forests, new rules against
>clear-cutting and a far more disciplined approach to forest management. Much
>of this, will not sit well with mining and logging interests and their
friends
>on the Congressional committees that underwrite Mr. Dombeck's agency. The
>mining ban, for example, is effective immediately, but there will be at least
>a year of comment and hearings before it becomes final. That leaves plenty of
>time for Congressional mischief, and it would not be surprising to see some
>outraged Congressman offer a bill to override Mr. Dombeck's and Mr. Babbitt's
>administrative, authority.
>
>At that point, Mr. Dombeck will need White House support, and if the
President