And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From:         "Day Starr (*No-qui-si*)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The three-decade legal battle of
Elmer ``Geronimo'' Pratt
ended Wednesday with the district attorney's decision
to drop further
prosecution of the former Black Panther who spent 27
years in prison for a
murder he said he didn't commit.

``The murder at issue in this case occurred over 30
years ago,'' said Gil
Garcetti, Los Angeles County's top prosecutor. ``Most
of the witnesses are
deceased. It would be virtually impossible to retry
this case.''

San Francisco attorney Stuart Hanlon, who spent 25
years seeking Pratt's
freedom, said after Garcetti's announcement, ``I'm glad
it's over.''

``I wish I could say I felt uplifted,'' Hanlon said.
``But all I feel is
frustration and anger that it took this long. It's
clear to everyone that
Pratt was wrongly convicted.''

There was no immediate comment from Pratt. He was at
home in Morgan City, La.,
and had gotten word, a family member said by telephone.

Pratt was freed in 1997 after 27 years behind bars when
a judge ruled that he
was denied a fair trial because the star prosecution
witness concealed the
fact that he was a police informant. On Tuesday, a
California appeals court
upheld the ruling, granting a new trial.

Pratt had been convicted of being one of two men who
robbed and fatally shot
Caroline Olsen on a Santa Monica tennis court.

He claimed that he was in Oakland for Black Panther
meetings at the time and
that FBI agents and police hid and possibly destroyed
wiretap evidence that
would prove it.

Pratt blamed the arrest on a campaign by J. Edgar
Hoover's FBI against the
Black Panthers and other alleged subversives.

Hanlon said he has filed a false conviction lawsuit in
federal court on
Pratt's behalf, seeking damages from the district
attorney's office, the Los
Angeles Police Department and the FBI.

Although he will not seek further prosecution, Garcetti
said he stands behind
the prosecutors who tried the case and won a conviction
in 1972.

--
Back To The Blanket Journal:

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/BackToTheBlanket