And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (S.I.S.I.S.) writes:

'HEALING FUND' SET FOR LAUNCH IN 1999
Vancouver Sun, December 4, 1998 by Janice Tibbets

[S.I.S.I.S. note:  The following mainstream news article may contain biased
or distorted information and may be missing pertinent facts and/or context.
It is provided for reference only.]

Ottawa - Indian residential schools alumni will start receiving millions in
federal money early next year for everything from sex-offender treatment to
home counselling. Cheques from a $350-million "healing fund" that Ottawa
announced earlier this year should start going out by March, George
Erasmus, head of the foundation managing the money, said Thursday. He
expects to distribute $50 million this fiscal year. Erasmus warned the
money will be reserved for community projects rather than individual
compensation cheques for the sexual and physical abuse many children at the
schools.

Debate rages over whether the healing fund is the best way to deal with the
rampant social problems on reserves that many aboriginal leaders say is the
legacy of the schools. Chief Ted Quewezanc of the Keeseekoose band in
Kamsack, Sask., would rather see money put into band coffers to pay for
much needed housing and health care. "Healing takes place on your own,"
Quewezanc said in an interview." There isn't enough money out there that is
going to fix anything." Chief Dennis Hunter of Saskatchewan's Gordon
Reserve likes the idea of a healing fund, but he warned that $350 million
is going to be spread so thin that it won't be helpful to anybody. "It
should be a bigger fund," said Hunter, who lives on a reserve where dozens
of residents were childhood victims of a former school director convicted
of sexual abuse.

Ottawa is leaving it up to individuals and communities to make pitches for
the programs they think are worthy. Erasmus acknowledged there is
widespread fear that people will expect the money to cure so many social
problems that it will end up doing a little for everybody but not enough
for anybody. "There are major concerns out there on that basis," he said.
He also noted that nobody really has a handle on the scope of the problems
that can be blamed on the residential schools. "At the moment, everybody is
guessing." The boarding schools were sponsored by Ottawa and run by several
churches. An estimated 105,000 children passed through 80 schools before
the last ones were shut down in the 1980s.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
Letters to the Vancouver Sun - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed
a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit
research and educational purposes only.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    S.I.S.I.S.   Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
        P.O. Box 8673, Victoria, "B.C." "Canada" V8X 3S2

        EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        WWW: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/SISmain.html

    SOVERNET-L is a news-only listserv concerned with indigenous
    sovereigntist struggles around the world.  To subscribe, send
    "subscribe sovernet-l" in the body of an email message to
                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          For more information on sovernet-l, contact S.I.S.I.S.
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Reply via email to