And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (S.I.S.I.S.) writes:

BANDS BICKER OVER $147 MILLION
The Province, December 13, 1998 by Damian Inwood

[S.I.S.I.S. note:  The following mainstream news article may contain biased
or distorted information and may be missing pertinent facts and/or context.
It is provided for reference only.]

 FORT ST. JOHN -- It sounds like a fairytale ending -- the $147-million pot
of gold at the end of a 20-year rainbow. But a federal oil and gas
compensation deal for 500 native Indians on two reserves north of here
shows every sign of turning into a horror story, fuelled by anger and
bitterness.

 In the land where the crew-cab is king, many people in this city of 16,000
see the settlement like a lottery jackpot for members of the nearby Doig
River Band and Blueberry River Band.

 An hour away, on bumpy, rutted roads, tensions on the two reserves are
bubbling below the surface, like the oil and gas that pumps out of the
wells and flare stacks which dot the snowy fields.

 What's feeding the flames is the money or -- more specifically -- who
controls it. On one side is a vision by chiefs and councils of a permanent
trust fund to provide a legacy for education, buying land, creating jobs
and preserving the native culture. "It's a lengthy process to set this up
so everybody will benefit," says Barb Davis, a band councillor for the Doig
River First Nation. "We have to think about the long term and the future
for our kids."

 On the other side is a feeling of mistrust as band members accuse their
leaders of lack of accountability and of shutting them out of
decision-making on who gets how much money and how the rest will be spent.
"If they get control of that money... we're back to square one," says a
bitter Ferlin Makadahay, 27, who lives with his girlfriend and two young
kids on the Doig River reserve. "Nobody says anything because they see that
money flash in front of their eyes."

 Like the joker in the middle of the pack is a third group of 488 people,
claiming to be descendants of the original Beaver Band, who are going to
court in March to seek a piece of the action. "It's like winning the 6/49,"
says Doig band manager Warren Reade. "The relatives come out of the
woodwork."

 There are teams of lawyers and accountants hired by the two bands to help
administer the new-found wealth. So far, the $147 million has been split
into three. The Doig and Blueberry bands each have one third and the
remaining third is being held aside until descendants' claims are heard.
Meanwhile, dozens of shiny, new $40,000 pick-up trucks bear witness to the
fact that, already, adult band members have received between $70,000 and
$100,000 each since April. Local dealers say they've sold about 60 trucks
since April and Ford sales manager Bob Fraas says dealers from Edmonton
sent in busloads of salesman, setting off a "feeding frenzy."

 The situation is far more complex than a question of merely doling out
large sums of money. The settlement came after the natives in 1945
unwittingly gave up oil and gas rights on "the Montney lands," a parcel
north of Fort St. John. The land was given to veterans returning from the
Second World War and later proved rich in oil. The bands launched a court
case in 1978 which ended in March when the Supreme Court of Canada ruled
Ottawa had failed in its duty to look after the interests of the native
Indians.

 Initial news reports suggested that the 300 Blueberry and 200 Doig band
members would each get $367,500 as a result of the settlement. The reality
is far different but the raised expectations have re-opened many old wounds
on the reserves. There are long-standing family feuds and political
rivalries based on who wields power in the band offices. There is a history
of poverty and the struggle to win jobs in the oil patch. There are rumors
hinting at everything from creative book-keeping and favouritism on work
contracts to stories of one band official riding back from town in a limo.
A further complication is that about one-third of band members live off the
reserve and cannot vote in band elections.

 Take a drive round the two reserves and, apart from the new trucks,
there's little sign of the windfall that's hit residents. Both reserves are
in valleys, surrounded by muskeg that's not suitable for farming. The Doig
band office -- jokingly referred to by some residents as "The White House"
because of the power centred there -- is a plain building with wooden
siding and worn linoleum, that looks badly in need of decorating. At
Blueberry, known by some as "Little Kuwait" because, at night, the sky is
lit up by the two dozen flare stacks that ring the reserve, the band office
is an Atco trailer.

 Some members are upset with how the money is being distributed. On the
Doig reserve, for example, there's a plan to build a $3 million band hall.

 When members signed for their money, they say, they were also asked to
sign an agreement that the interest on their children's $50,000, which will
be held in trust until they are 19, could be used by the chiefs and
councils for "general operating expenses."

 "We had no say," says Blueberry band member Malcolm Apsassin. "It wasn't
right. The band members were forced to make those agreements. When the
cheques were issued, they had the agreement sitting on the table."
Apsassin, a contractor clearing pipeline rights-of-way, says he's lost work
because he's been outspoken at band meetings "We didn't understand the
agreements that the lawyers had drafted up for the community," he said.
"Nobody explained it. I said the chief and council should go page by page
and explain. In the settlement, they said if we don't accept it, we may get
nothing at all."

 Blueberry Chief Norman Yahey and three band councillors were away in
Edmonton this week at a financial management course and couldn't be reached
for comment. Financial consultant Larry Hutchinson, who's been hired by the
band, said there'll be a general band meeting in January to look at
proposals. "There isn't tons of money flowing around here," he said. "It's
being set up to benefit the community and descendants. We don't have the
ability to cut cheques for $300,000. These people were poor. This is more
than winning the lottery, it's kind of overwhelming."

 In Fort St. John, RCMP Sgt. Doug Greep says there's been a slight increase
in calls to the reserve. "There's been a little bit more partying, but
nothing that we would be alarmed at," he said. "We have only seen
positives. For the most part, people here have accepted it, that it was due
to them. They share it by coming into town and spending it."

 For their part, the Blueberry band members say that shortly after stories
about the settlement broke, a truck full of "rednecks" tried to run the
school bus off the road.

 Teresa Stewart, 31, is a Doig band member who lives in Fort St. John with
her husband Rory and three young children who don't have Indian status.
She's one of a large number of women who married non-natives and who are
trying to get their children considered descendants. She says she's spent
$40,000 in legal bills on the claim and in challenging the way the band is
setting up the trust fund. "A lot of the band members feel there's no
accountability by our leaders," she said. "We'd like to have a say in the
trust. This is not like budget money from Indian Affairs, it's an
inheritance from our ancestors from the Montney claim."

 Stewart's mother, Margaret Rothlisberger, lost her Indian status when she
married a non-native in 1966. Stewart and her mom got their status back in
1985 but both say they're treated as second-class citizens by people on the
reserve and have no say in how the funds are handled.

 Back on the Doig reserve, Chief Kelvin Davis won't answer specific
complaints and dismisses criticisms as negativity. "Everything is
positive," he says. "There's no false illusion." Behind him, on the wall in
the band lunch room, is mounted a buffalo head and beside it a handwritten
sign reads, "May I ask someone out there to please move me over or get me
out of here. It's a real headache butting heads with people around here. I
would like it to stop. Thanks, yours truly, Buffy."

 DIVIDING THE DOUGH

 When news of the $147 million settlement first broke, news stories
reported that each band member stood to get $367,500. In April, adults at
Doig and Blueberry received $50,000 each. The Doig band members got another
$50,000 in August and will vote on a further $15,000 Christmas bonus next
week. Meanwhile, the Blueberry band members got a second pay-out of $11,000
this summer and are getting six monthly cheques for $1,500. As well,
$50,000 is being held in trust for children, present and future, on the two
reserves, until they reach age 19. It's not yet been decided how the
remainder of the money will be distributed, say band officials.

 THE HISTORY

 At the centre of the $147 million settlement lies the Montney lands. In
1916, the Beaver Band ancestors of the Doig River and Blueberry River Band
signed Treaty 8 and received a 7,300 hectare reserve, including oil and gas
rights. In 1945, the Department of Indian Affairs persuaded the Indians to
give up the reserve and then sold it for $70,000 to the director of the
Veteran's Land Act in 1948. The land was then turned over to veterans
returning from the Second World War.In the 1960s, the Doig River and
Blueberry River reserves were set up to the northeast and northwest of the
Montney lands. Oil and gas production started at Montney in 1977 and the
following year the two bands went to court to get compensation for lost
revenues.

 After losing at both the B.C. Supreme Court and the B.C. Court of Appeal,
the Supreme Court of Canada found in their favour, ruling the Indians never
intended to include mineral rights in the original deal with the Department
of Indian Affairs.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
SOVEREIGNTY IS THE ANSWER - CANADA IS THE PROBLEM

Letters to The Province - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed
a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit
research and educational purposes only.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    S.I.S.I.S.   Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
        P.O. Box 8673, Victoria, "B.C." "Canada" V8X 3S2

        EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        WWW: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/SISmain.html

    SOVERNET-L is a news-only listserv concerned with indigenous
    sovereigntist struggles around the world.  To subscribe, send
    "subscribe sovernet-l" in the body of an email message to
                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          For more information on sovernet-l, contact S.I.S.I.S.
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Reply via email to