And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 16:57:37 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Graverobbers disturb Inuit burial site

Newfoundland   August 6, 1999

    By RYAN CLEARY
    The Telegram

An aboriginal burial ground in Saglek Bay, Labrador has been disturbed, with human
remains strewn about the sacred site, according to the RCMP officer heading the case.
Sgt. Earl Roddick says grave robbers may have been at work.

“That’s possible,” Roddick said in a telephone interview Thursday from Nain. Police
won’t know for sure until next week when they plan to travel to Rose Island in Saglek
Bay, about a day’s boat ride from Nain.  The majority of the roughly 600 burials on
Rose Island date from the mid-18th to mid-19th centuries.  More than 79 of the graves
were excavated between 1969-1971 by a professor with the University of Toronto and the
remains taken from the area. Artifacts included harpoon shafts, soapstone bowls and
lamps, wooden dolls and miniature kayaks.

The skeletal remains and artifacts were reburied by the Newfoundland government in
1995.  Personnel with the Defence Department photographed the burial ground
disturbance in late July and made a report to the Labrador Inuit Association.  “We’re
quite upset,” said Gary Baikie, LIA spokesman. “The ground is sacred to us.” He said
the disturbance was not caused by wild animals.  Tourism Minister Chuck Furey, who
ordered the reburial in 1995 and actually called in the RCMP, said Thursday he found
the grave disturbance “frightening and embarrassing.”  “If there are charges to be
laid I want the full force of the law to hammer these people if they’re apprehended.”

According to Roddick, interfering with human remains is a criminal offence punishable
by up to five years in prison.

               "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
                A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                     1957 G.H. Estabrooks