And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Friends of the Lubicon
485 Ridelle Ave.
Toronto, ON  M6B 1K6
tel: (416) 763-7500
fax: (416) 535-7810

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

August 10, 1999

In February the Alberta provincial government announced that it was
beginning a public consultation process regarding the status of various
forests around northern Alberta. Amongst the lands in question were areas
returned to the province by Daishowa after a successful Lubicon boycott
campaign forced the forestry company to abandon plans to clear-cut Lubicon
traditional territories.

When the consultation was announced, Lubicon Chief Bernard Ominayak wrote
to the province informing them that Lubicon traditional territories remain
off-limits for clear-cutting and advising them that their time would be
better spent negotiating a resolution of Lubicon land rights rather than
deliberately provoking confrontation with the Lubicons.

THE PROVINCE COMES TO THE TABLE

After a year of bilateral federal-Lubicon negotiations, head Provincial
negotiator John McCarthy recently attended his first session of this round
of land rights negotiations on July 29.

Land is the first key issue to be resolved with the province - how much
land and which lands are to be set aside to create a reserve for the
Lubicons. The question of land centres on an agreement called the Grimshaw
Accord. The Grimshaw Accord was a landmark agreement between the Lubicons
and Alberta negotiated by then-Premier Don Getty  and Chief Ominayak in
1988 which settled the issue of land quantum and laid to rest earlier
disputes about Lubicon membership. The province agreed to set aside 95
square miles as a reserve area regardless of membership.

Since the agreement was made, provincial bureaucrats have regularly
attempted to misrepresent, undermine or break the agreement, most recently
by characterizing it as a "proposal" or "offer" that has since been
rescinded. Don Getty, however, when contacted by media, has stood by the
agreement.

After a lengthy briefing led by Chief Federal Negotiator Brad Morse on the
status of negotiations, McCarthy told the Lubicons that the "Grimshaw
proposal" had been withdrawn by then-provincial Native Affairs minister
Mike Cardinal in 1995 "in the interest of a fresh start".

However, McCarthy said, he has a new Minister to report to and therefore he
couldn't say what his mandate on the land issue will be. He said he would
report back to the Minister about negotiations and get instructions on how
to continue. He said "We've got a new boss, and I've got to get
instructions. I'm interested from a personal point of view to see if we can
bridge the gap."

Chief Ominayak told McCarthy "We're glad to hear that your interest is to
resolve the issue. I don't think that Mr. Cardinal has any right to break
agreements your government and ours made. We've always stated we stand by
the agreement that we made. It takes two parties to break an agreement."

Referring to the string of boycotts, protests, and blockades which
precipitated the Grimshaw Accord in 1988, Chief Ominayak said "You probably
recall all the problems we had leading into that agreement. I hate to see
us rehash all those problems again. We certainly don't agree that Mr.
Cardinal has any right to break agreements made with us."

He said "At the time we were dealing with Grimshaw, we saw more willingness
from Alberta to settle than from the feds. Now it's the reverse. We get
caught in the middle. With that, John, I thank you and we'll await your
response."

LUBICON LANDS UP FOR SALE AGAIN

Exactly one week later, the Alberta provincial government announced that it
is now accepting tenders for logging within a portion of the Lubicon
traditional territory. The portion being put up for sale surrounds the
proposed 95 square mile Lubicon reserve area on the East, North and South
sides. That means potential loggers will be allowed to clear-cut right up
to the boundary of the proposed Lubicon reserve.

And, despite its written commitment not to cut or buy wood cut on Lubicon
territory until a land rights settlement is reached and a harvesting
agreement negotiated which respects Lubicon wildlife and environmental
concerns, Daishowa may yet again play a role in this new round of logging
on Lubicon territory. Daishowa has entered into a logging contract with
various Indian bands from the area who have expressed interest in logging
the available portion of Lubicon traditional lands. The bands are proposing
to do the cutting and sell the logs to Daishowa's Peace River mill. The
bands that make up the joint venture are the Woodland Cree Band (a
government-created entity put together in 1989 to subvert Lubicon land
rights), the Loon River Band and the Whitefish Lake Band.

Using one group of Native people to undermine the land rights of another
group of Native people has been the mainstay of colonial policy ever since
Europeans set foot on this continent. But using Native people as a front
doesn't for a minute absolve Daishowa or the province of responsibility for
what happens to the Lubicon people.

Selling off the resources on lands where the rights are in question is just
about as underhanded, despicable and duplicitous as you can get. Selling
off resources on the very lands you are currently at the table negotiating
the rights to is even worse.

Lubicon supporters have been writing to both Daishowa and the Alberta
government expressing their protest over this turn of events.

Supporters have been telling Daishowa to keep their promise not to cut or
buy wood cut on Lubicon lands and to drop the lawsuit against Lubicon
supporters (which the company is still pursuing in court).

Supporters have been telling the Alberta government to negotiate in good
faith and to stop selling off Lubicon lands before Lubicon land rights have
been resolved.

A good example of such letters sent by the Chippewas of Nawash is attached.

The addresses to write to are:

Tokiro Kawamura
President
Daishowa-Marubeni International
Suite 1700
1095 West Pender Street
Vancouver, BC  V6E 2M6

Fax: 604-684-0512

The Honourable Ralph Klein
Premier of Alberta
Room 307 Legislature Building
Edmonton, AB T5K 2B6

___________________________

Sample letters:

Premier Ralph Klein
Province of Alberta
Alberta Provincial Legislature,
Edmonton, AB

Dear Premier Klein,

Those of us who have been watching the Lubicon saga over the past decade
think that the time has come for you to take the lead in Canada in
restoring to First Nations their cultural integrity and economic
self-sufficiency. (The two are inextricably linked.)

I urge you to join negotiations with the Lubicon First Nation and sign an
agreement that will forever end this sad story in a way that will see the
First Nation regain its self-reliance.

Resist the urge to copy tactics that have been used in the past and are
being used now in Ontario to defeat Natives rightful claims to earn a
sustainable living from the land and its resources. Withdraw any permits to
cut that have been issued for Lubicon traditional territory. Do not use
other First Nations to exploit the resources on Lubicon land. Recognize
Native rights to make a living from practicing their aboriginal and treaty
rights. Recognize the value of First Nation stewardship over the land and
its resources and engage the Lubicon in co-management agreements.

It is in your power to show the rest of Canada how to recognize First
Nations rights in a way that will result in restoring their economic
self-sufficiency. Take the lead.

Regards,

David McLaren
Communications Coordinator, Chippewas of Nawash

Tokiro Kawamura
President
Daishowa-Marubeni International
Suite 1700
1095 West Pender Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 2M6

Dear Mr. Kawamura,

You have a wonderful chance to show Canadians how industry can work in
cooperation with the indigenous peoples of the world in a way that will
allow them to practice their aboriginal and treaty rights in their
traditional territories so they may rebuild their shattered economies.

I urge you not to pursue any interests in resources on Lubicon traditional
territory without the blessings and written agreement of the Lubicon
themselves. Refuse to purchase timber cut from those lands by others (even
if they are Native cutters) unless you have first signed an agreement with
the Lubicon. Call off the appeal of J. MacPhersons decision in favour of
the Friends of the Lubicon boycott because there is no boycott. (However,
if the Friends re-instate the boycott, I can guarantee it will be even
better supported than the first one was.)

Those of us who work with First Nations know the variety of tricks
governments can play in wresting natural resources away from the original
stewards of this land: refusals to negotiate lasting settlements, the
withholding of services and funding, using other First Nations to divide
and  conquer. The result is always discrimination and economic ruin for
Native peoples.

Do not contribute to the on-going shame of Canada. Listen to those
Japanese Canadians who were interred by the Canadian government during
World War II. You will find they will tell you similar stories of
dispossession and heartbreak that First Nations peoples have experienced
for the past 200 years. You will also find most Japanese Canadians support
First Nations in their struggle for cultural integrity and economic
self-sufficiency.