And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

via LISN
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 18:16:12 -0500
From: Indigenous Environmental Network <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Black Hills
Teton Sioux Nation
Tetuwan Oyate

MEMBER RESERVATIONS
Pine Ridge
Lower Brule
Cheyenne River
Standing Rock
Rosebud
Fort Peck
Crow Creek
Santee
Canadian Sioux

Commission on Human Rights
Sub-Commission on Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of
Minorities
Working Group on Indigenous Populations
Seventeenth Session
26 - 30 July 1999
Agenda Item 8: Treaties
Intervention of the Teton Sioux Nation Treaty Council presented by Tony
Black Feather, Spokesman

Madam Chairperson, I bring you the greetings of the full-blooded Lakota descendants of
the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868 and offer you these words on their behalf as the
Spokesman for the Tetuwan Oyate, Teton Sioux Nation Treaty Council.

Madam Chairperson, I know that from your years of experience you are familiar with
most of our positions and you recognize the grave importance that we have placed upon
the Treaty Study which has been submitted by Professor Miguel Alphonso Martinez. With
the deepest respect we applaud his efforts and honor his commitment.

This summer the Teton Sioux Nation Treaty Council, along with the Confederacy of
Treaty Six First Nations, hosted a treaty gathering for many nations on our territory
at Lower Brule in South Dakota. The purpose of the treaty gathering was simply to plan
strategy with our brothers and sisters from other Indigneous treaty nations on the
best application of the Professor Martinez's study. It was our humble attempt at
heeding his advice that the future of the Treaty Study and its importance in the
development of international law is now the responsibility of we, the Indigneous
peoples.

The purpose of the Teton Sioux Nation Treaty Council, for more than 100 years, has
been simply to take our place amongst the family of nations. We believe this can only
be achieved in international forums. Accordingly, we have been working already for
many years to lay the groundwork for the development of an international body of law.
In pursuit of justice and the international recognition of our sovereignty, we would
urge two things: 1) That the nation states join with the rightful cause of supporting
human rights for everyone on the earth and pass the provisions of the Draft
Declaration as prepared by the Working Group on Indigenous Populations. If politics
and greed prevent the nation states from supporting basic principles of human and
group rights for all peoples, then we suggest that they cease the pretense of being
the champions of human rights. The time to pass the declaration is NOW. 2) That this
Working Group and the Indigenous delegates gathered here support the jo!
!
int
resolution of the Teton Sioux Nation Treaty Council, The Confederacy of Treaty Six
First Nations, The Confederacy of Treaty Four First Nations, the Haudenosaunee, and
the Saddle Lake First Nation, which resolution simply states: "To the extent that the
Special Rapporteur's Study on Treaties, Agreements and other Constructive Arrangements
between states and Indigenous Peoples concludes that Treaties between Indigneous
Nations and Nation States are legal, internationally binding agreements, we support
all the recommendations and conclusions which place advocacy for Treaty equity and
historical justice within international forums."

As I stated at the Treaty Gathering at Lower Brule, "our people will have justice in
the eyes of the World."

Pila maya, Madam Chairperson, Mitaku Oyasin

Indigenous Environmental Network
P.O. Box 485
Bemidji, Minnesota 56619-0485  USA
Phone (218) 751-4967
Fax (218) 751-0561
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet Web Site: http://www.alphacdc.com/ien

"An alliance of Indigenous Peoples empowering Indigenous communities
towards sustainable livelihoods, environmental protection of our lands,
water, air and maintaining the sacred Fire of our traditions."