Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 09:42:50 -0500
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Connie & Ty Jacobs SW witness dies of heart attack; Toronto
   native women's shelter, SW stripsearched by cops

December 4, 1999   Heart attack claims 3rd inquiry witness
By PETER SMITH -- Calgary Sun

The tragic double-shooting by the RCMP of a mom and her son on the Tsuu
T'ina Nation has claimed a third life, say band members.
Social worker Loraine Duguay, who faced Connie Jacobs' gun shortly before
the fatal shootout, died of a heart attack early yesterday. 

"She suffered a massive heart attack at her home, and I believe
she had passed away even before she reached the hospital," said
band counsel member Marsha Erb. "It's pretty hard not to conclude this was
brought about by the stress of the fatality inquiry. 
"This thing should be all over," she added. "All the time it's still
going on, it's causing enormous stress for everyone, because no
one can get any closure here."  Erb said it's hard to see what further
purpose could be served by stretching out the inquiry further. "We have
already learned many lessons from what people have
had to say," she said.  Duguay, then-director of the band's family and
social services, and another social worker together with a tribal police
constable, went to Jacobs' home March 22, 1998, to take away her children
after a domestic dispute. After Jacobs pointed a rifle at the social
workers, there was an exchange of gunfire between the mom and an RCMP
officer.  Jacobs and her son Ty, 9, were killed. Erb paid tribute to
Duguay.  "Loraine's a very warm, loving person, and she carried a lot of
other people's problems close to her heart," she said.  The band was hoping
lawyers would allow the fatality inquiry to adjourn Monday so funeral
arrangements could be made. 

Saturday, December 04, 1999
Mother will not face trial over baby's death: Judge blames system
Shannon Black
National Post 

An Ontario provincial court judge ruled yesterday that the case involving
the mother of a five-week-old who died of starvation, as well as the
Catholic Children's Aid Society caseworker responsible for the infant,
would not proceed to trial. Renee Heikamp, the baby's mother, and Angie
Martin, the CAS caseworker, were both charged with criminal negligence in
August, 1997, after an autopsy revealed that Jordan Heikamp had died of
chronic starvation. 

After a 13-month inquiry, which began in September, 1998, Judge Mary Hogan
yesterday read a 36-page decision that placed the blame on the existing
child protection system. "Judge Hogan basically indicted the system. She
basically called it a systemic error," said John
McCracken, the communications officer for the Canadian Union of Public
Employees, to which Ms. Martin belongs. "Everyone was to blame," he added.
Mary McConnville, executive director at the Catholic Children's Aid
Society, said the charges laid against Ms. Martin had made other social
workers anxious. "Every social worker in child welfare across the country
watched this inquiry very carefully and felt that they could be walking in
Angie's shoes," she said. Ms. Martin's case was the second known instance
of criminal charges being laid against a social worker in Ontario. The
first instance occurred in Brockville in 1982 when three CAS members were
charged with child abandonment. They were committed for trial, but acquitted. 

Renee Heikamp was 19 when she gave birth to her 4-pound, 7- ounce son. She
had been living on the streets for some years and had been in and out of
shelters. The Northwest General Hospital staff
(now part of Humber River Memorial Hospital) notified the city's Catholic
Children's Aid Society after receiving a phone call about the mother.
Jordan was released from hospital after 11 days to live with his mother at
Anduhyaun, a shelter on Weston Road. Less than four weeks later, Jordan
died, weighing 3 pounds, nine ounces. 

Ms. McConnville said Judge Hogan identified areas of concern in handling
mothers in similar circumstances to Ms. Heikamp, calling for further
examination. "It's really important not to walk way from this and breathe a
sigh of relief," said Ms. McConnville, "but to remember that this was a
tragedy and a child has died." Ms. McConnville said improvements had
already been made. Amendments to the Child and Family Services Act are
expected to be introduced in the new year. They include lowering the
threshold of risk needed to be present before a Children's Aid Society can
intervene in a case, including neglect as grounds for finding a child in
need of protection, and speeding up the judicial process.

December 4, 1999  Baby death 'tragedy'
                   Mom and social worker cleared
                By SAM PAZZANO -- Toronto Sun

A young mother and a social worker wept tears of joy after a
judge exonerated them yesterday of criminal negligence in the
starvation death of a six-week-old baby. "It was a tragedy that did not
have to happen," Justice Mary Hogan said in dismissing negligence causing
death charges against Renee Heikamp and Catholic Children's Aid Society
worker Angie Martin for the June 23 tragedy. 
"There are lessons to be learned in this. People make mistakes, but
that is not criminal negligence," said Hogan.  When she declared that there
wasn't enough evidence to proceed to trial against Martin, a loud gasp was
heard from a courtroom packed with CCAS supporters, including CUPE
president Judy Darcy. "What everyone knew was that she (Heikamp) was not
able to cope on her own and she did just that. She loved that baby, but no
one taught her how (to care for it)."  "I'm happy, relieved," said Heikamp,
now 21 and mother of
eight-month-old Courtney. 

"It's an extraordinary tragedy because it was so preventable," said
Heikamp's lawyer Paula Rochman afterward. "Everyone recognized that given
Miss Heikamp's background and her situation,she would not be able to take
care of this baby on her own, from before that baby was born. Nothing was
done to prepare her to take care of this baby.
Nobody taught her the most basic things. She was barely able to
care for herself. She still lives with the fact that her baby died. That
baby died in her arms, in her bed." 

Jordan was born six weeks prematurely on May 18, 1997, weighing
only four pounds and seven ounces. Jordan and his 19-year-old
mother left the hospital May 29. The newborn weighed little more
than four pounds when he died in his mother's arms in her bed on
June 23.  The Crown alleged that Heikamp was criminally negligent in her
infant son's death.  She repeatedly lied that she took Jordan to the doctor
and never did. The Crown also alleged Heikamp was a clever young woman with
experience with babies. She looked after Lima Buckowski's baby for three
years, but that was five years before Heikamp gave birth. She smoked
cigarettes through the pregnancy and didn't look after her own health, the
Crown alleged. 

Once Jordan was born and remained in hospital for several days,
his mother infrequently visited, the Crown alleged. The nurses
viewed her attitude as less than desirable and Jordan would not
have been discharged into her care if the CCAS hadn't been   involved, the
Crown contended.  Martin was mobbed by supporters outside the court.
"She's grateful for the results. She's still coping with the decision and
the fact this case is finally over," said Frank Marrocco and Glenn Hainey,
Martin's lawyers. "There was no evidence of recklessness or criminal
negligence. Nothing can give Miss Martin back all the time she spent
waiting for this moment." 

After being arrested, Martin was strip-searched, which the judge
said was humiliating and unnecessary. 

               "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
                A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                     1957 G.H. Estabrooks

                    FOR   K A R E N  #01182
                   who died fighting  4/23/99

                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    For people like me, violence is the minotaur; we spend our lives
        wandering its maze, looking for the exit.  (Richard Rhodes)
                   Never befriend the oppressed 
                    unless you are prepared to 
                    take on the oppressor.   
                        (Author unknown)

Reply via email to