Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [CTRL] Monsanto / FDA collusion revealed: Robert Cohen's FDAtestimony
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 11:33:43 -0500
From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  -Caveat Lector-

Dave Hartley
http://www.Asheville-Computer.com/dave

(from Robert Cohen's daily diary; more at:  http://www.hungerstrike.com )

************************************
Thursday, December 2 - Day 26
The FDA Testimony - as promised

[Robert Cohen appeared on an FDA panel in Washington on Tuesday, November
30, 1999 some of you may have seen his speech on C-Span Mr. Cohen spoke
last, and each of the other panel members read prepared statements.
Members of the panel also included Mildred Cody, who represented the
American Dietetic Association; Mario Teisl, a professor of economics at
the University of Maine; John Gray, president of the International Food
Service Distributors Association; Kendal Keith, president of the National
Grain & Feed Association; and Richard Caplan, an environmental advocate
with the US Public Interest Research Group.]

********* Testimony 11-30-99

Hi everybody, I've got to apologize first - I don't have a prepared
statement like the other panel members.  All I'm going to give here is
some facts.

I have a copy of the Federal Register. It says here advertising this
meeting:

"FDA is not aware of information that will distinguish genetically
engineered food as a class from other foods."

[ROBERT COHEN TURNS AND ADDRESSES FDA PANEL MEMBERS.]  I'm going to give
you some information today, guys.

The greatest controversy in FDA history was the approval process for
Monsanto's genetically engineered bovine growth hormone.  We shouldn't be
here today! We should not be in this room and I shouldn't be here because,
in 1994, Congress HAD A BILL that was going to require mandatory labeling
of all foods that were influenced by genetic engineering.  I got my
Congresswoman to co-sponsor that bill - 181 congresspeople co-sponsored
that bill, and you know what? I learned how Congress works that year
because in 6 months they stalled the bill - 12 members of the Dairy
Livestock  & Poultry Committee - they stalled the bill until the 1994
session of Congress expired and the bill died.

I was so upset, I investigated these 12 men and found that collectively
they took $711,000 in PAC money from companies with dairy interests, and
four of the members of the committee took money directly from Monsanto.

Now we've got a lot of political intrigue and some real science here.
We've got science fiction, we've got a combination of John Grisham and
we've got a combination of Stephen King.

Nikita Khrushchev said that what the scientists have in their briefcase is
terrifying  - [ROBERT COHEN THEN OPENED HIS BRIEFCASE AND PULLED OUT A
STACK OF PAPERS] and I've got some interesting things in my briefcase to
share with you today.

When Monsanto made their genetically engineered bovine growth hormone,
they noticed a couple of problems right towards the end - right before
approval.  They noticed that laboratory animals were getting cancer, and
they noticed that cows were getting mastitis, ulcers in their udders. They
were putting more pus and bacteria into the milk. So Monsanto arranged

We've heard from Dr. Maryanski this morning, and Dr. Maryanski talked
about the Pure Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act but what he didn't tell you
was that in 1958, Robert Delaney, a congressman from New York, added the
Delaney Amendment which was named after him.  The Delaney Amendment stated
that if a food additive caused cancer, it was not to be approved - a
pretty good law - right?

Monsanto got their attorney, Michael Taylor from the firm of King &
Spalding   By the way, when they started in 1979, they groomed their
attorney who is now in the Supreme Court, Clarence Thomas, from the same
law firm.

Anyway, Monsanto's attorney, Michael Taylor, wrote and minimized the
Delaney Amendment- he wrote a scientific paper that was published in the
"Journal of Toxicology".  Lawyers -they write in law review journals, but
this lawyer wrote in the "Journal of Toxicology":  "a De-Minumus
interpretation of the Delaney Amendment" became the new protocol, the new
standard operating procedure at FDA.  They minimized cancer.

Michael Taylor was hired by the Food & Drug Administration, and became the
second most powerful man there, Monsanto's attorney - he wrote the
standard operating procedure.  In other words, if you see cancer, ignore
it.  Margaret Miller and Suzanne Sechen, Monsanto's scientists, were hired
by the FDA to review Monsanto's own research.

Margaret Miller knew cows were getting mastitis. The first week at the
FDA, December 3, 1989, she was given broad power, and here's an affect of
genetic engineering nobody has considered.  She knew cows were getting
sick from the genetically engineered hormone.  She changed the amount of
antibiotics that farmers could have in their milk.  She changed it from 1
part per 100 million to 1 part per million - this is a fact!  She
increased it by 100 times.

There is a hero of mine in the audience, Michael Hansen from Consumer's
Union - Consumer's Union tested milk in the New York metropolitan area and
found the presence of 52 different antibiotics in milk samples.

FDA published on August 24, 1990, the first time ever in a peer-reviewed
journal, in "Science". "Science" was started by Thomas Edison in the
1880's. They published a review of bovine somatotropin -bGH -the
genetically engineered cow hormone.  And in that review, there were seven
tables of data. Five of those tables came from one study authored by
Richard, Odaglia and Deslex. This is the famous "90-Day Study." Guess
what?  This was actually a study lasting for 180 days and when I first
heard about this in 1994, I filed a Freedom of Information Act Request for
that study - because I saw from the data that the average spleen of a lab
animal increased 46%.

I called FDA and spoke with Dick Teske.  I said, "46%? You said there were
no biological effects!"

He said, "That's not statistically significant."

I said, "Well, let me see the raw data."

He said, "It's a trade secret."

I called Monsanto, they laughed at me.  They said, "It's a trade secret
and you will never see it."

I'm smart, I filed a Freedom of Information Act Request, but I didn't
realize you can't find out the study.  I went to Federal Court, I said,
"Your honor - spleen increase of 46%, that's leukemia in 90 days!"

I met with FDA on April 21, 1995, and found out that this was actually a
180-day study.

In Canada, they had this study.  I have a letter here [ROBERT COHEN
REACHES INTO HIS BRIEFCASE], an internal memorandum:

"This is to advise you that the copies of reports, letters, etc. for drug
submissions have been stolen from my files."

This was stolen from a scientist's file in Canada. They stole the second
half of the "90-Day Study."

We've got real science here. I'm going to talk briefly about the real
science because when Monsanto made this hormone, they had to tell the FDA
- they had to draw a chart of every amino acid - the 191 amino acids. And
when FDA wrote their paper in "Science" magazine they wrote that one amino
acid changed - it was a different hormone than the naturally occurring
one.

At the same time, somebody hired C. Everett Koop to come and say that
genetically engineered milk and the good old wholesome milk is
indistinguishable. Well, it wasn't.  Something happened to the hormone
that Monsanto made. The FDA said that there was one change in the endamino
acid. It became epsilon-N-acetyllysine.  FDA had written if there was a
change in the middle of the protein, there could be disastrous results.
They cited Jerome Moore.  I got Jerome Moore's paper.  It said if there is
a protein change in the middle, there could be Alzheimer's or sickle cell
anemia or diabetes.

Four months after the hormone was approved, one of Monsanto's scientists,
Bernard Violand, published in the July 3, 1994 issue of the journal
"Protein Science" evidence that Monsanto made a mistake.

Oops!  Monsanto created a freak amino acid.  Did you ever see that movie
"The Fly" with Jeff Goldblum when the fly comes in and he becomes
half-human and half-fly?  Monsanto created a freak amino acid.  Monsanto
admitted it but didn't tell the FDA.  [ROBERT COHEN TURNS AND POINTS TO
THE FDA PANEL MEMBERS].

Gentlemen, the hormone that's on the market today is different than the
one you tested for seven years.  Monsanto spent 500 million dollars,
submitted 55,000 pages of information to you, learned late in the process
that they created a freak amino acid - that's what was tested on
laboratory animals and it didn't matter because FDA said to Monsanto, you
know something?  It's safe because when you pasteurize milk, you destroy
the hormone.

They performed this research up in Guelph, Ontario by Paul Groenewegan,
and I've got his study. [ROBERT COHEN AGAIN ADDRESSES FDA PANEL MEMBERS]
To this day, FDA thinks -it's on your web page - that 90% of the bovine
growth hormone is destroyed by pasteurization.  But what Paul Groenewegan
did working with Ted Elasser and Brian McBride, two Monsanto scientists,
was he pasteurized milk for 30 minutes at 162F, and when I read that - I
said, wait a second, milk is pasteurized for 15 seconds at that
temperature - not 30 minutes.  They intentionally tried to destroy the
hormone, they only destroyed 19% of it - somebody lied.  And at that
moment, FDA said to Monsanto:

"Because you destroy it by pasteurization, you don't have to do further
toxicology studies.  You don't have to develop a test for this hormone in
milk.  It's now safe to drink."

They (FDA) developed a zero day withdrawal - they determined it was safe
to drink.

We have a lot of political intrigue here.  We have an interesting
situation where people have said that a revolving door policy exists at
FDA.  I mean, where is the ex-FDA commissioner, guess who he is working
for? He is working for Monsanto.  Bob Dole ran for President, his Chief of
Staff was Donald Rumsfeld (ex-president of Searle, owned by Monsanto).  I
have one last comment

[AT THIS POINT, THE MODERATOR INTERRUPTS MR. COHEN AND TELLS HIM TO WRAP
IT UP AND TO ADDRESS LABELING]

I know, but we have a labeling issue here - we have a right to know  - I
have listened to comments about "multi-faceted educational effort that we
need" - that's called brainwashing! I don't want a "multi-faceted
educational effort" - I want a double helical structure (AUDIENCE
APPLAUDS) on a piece of food that I'm going to buy in the supermarket
because I have a right to know.

Because the bottom line is - mistakes were made and when I hear from the
American Dietetic Association, [ROBERT COHEN ADDRESSES A MEMBER OF THE
AMERICAN DIETETIC ASSOCIATION WHO PREVIOUSLY SPOKE AGAINST LABELING], I
want to remind you that Monsanto gave you $100,000 to set up a toll-free
hotline about the bovine growth hormone.

Mistakes were made! We've got political intrigue here and the bottom line
is we have a right to know what we are eating.  Thank you. (APPLAUSE)

********* End testimony 11-30-99

Archives Available at:

http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html doctrine