Young environmentalist passionate about her cause

Ta'Kaiya Blaney, from the Sliammon First Nation, performs at the Aboriginal
Cultural Village Aug. 10 during Penticton's Peach Festival.
Zach Embree/contributor

By Contributed - Kelowna Capital News
Published: August 10, 2012 12:00 PM
Updated: August 10, 2012 12:16 PM
http://www.kelownacapnews.com/entertainment/165760796.html

At 11 years of age, Ta'Kaiya Blaney has more passion in her convictions than
most adults.

Blaney, who lives in North Vancouver and is from the Sliammon First Nation,
learned from her grandparents and parents that their way of life would not be
hers.

"They told me stories of how they used to go down to the beach and practice our
traditions and culture by eating the herring off the rocks and gather the
cockles and not having to worry about them being toxic, because the land was
pristine back then," Blaney recalled recently. "Every time they would tell me
those stories it reminded me that I am never going to be able to do most of the
things they talked about because the land is too polluted now."

The stories, coupled with new stories of the environment being destroyed,
sparked a passion in the well-spoken girl to stand up and do something about
it. Today, at the Penticton Peach Festival Aboriginal Cultural Village in Gyro
Park, she will bring her message of saving Mother Earth.

"There is always going to be people out there saying 'what does she know, she
is 11, she hasn't got her wisdom teeth pulled,' or 'hasn't got a job' or 'gone
to college or university.' I believe that it doesn't matter if you are tall or
small, 90 or six, it is just that you have a message and that message is what
you feel," said Blaney, whose first name translates into Special Water.

"The Earth is what I feel for. I am passionate for that. What I tell people is
that if they have a gift they should share it, so if they are worried about the
environment or they are worried about war then they should just not worry about
people who are criticizing them. Stand up for what you believe in."

In 2010 she co-wrote and recorded five songs with Aileen De La Cruz, including
Shallow Waters. The message in the song is relevant today more than ever as she
sings about how an oil spill on the northwest coast could tragically end the
traditional way of life for many coastal First Nations and devastate all marine
and coastal life and habitat. Since the video was released for Shallow Waters
in February of 2011, it has been viewed over 100,000 times on YouTube.

"I really didn't think I would have this much impact. I definitely wanted to
get my message out there.it's reached way farther and I am happy because I want
to spread the message of how my ancestors land is being constantly destroyed,
how my culture is in danger and how Mother Earth is in danger."

Blaney was chosen as one of 20 We Canada Champions, an organization putting
pressure on Canada to show leadership, to attend the UN Earth Summit held in
Rio de Janeiro this past June.

Blaney also travelled to Indonesia with her mother and other We Canada
Champions, where she met like-minded children and gave three workshops for 10-
to 14-year-olds and sang at the closing ceremonies.

Blaney spoke and sang at several rallies this past year including the
KinderMorgan Plant in Burnaby where tar sands pipeline expansion will mean more
oil tankers in Burrard Inlet and more recently at the Enbridge environmental
hearing in Comox.

While she hasn't quite narrowed down what she wants to do when she becomes an
adult-she has a long list that includes singing, speaking out on the
environment and playing the violin-she does know it will involve her passion
for the environment. That was confirmed after meeting one of her biggest
environmental influences, David Suzuki.

"It is like reading about a superhero in a comic for so long then finally
getting to meet the hero," she said. "It was just an amazing experience."

Blaney will be performing at the opening ceremonies of the Aboriginal Cultural
Village at Penticton's Gyro Park today, Aug. 10, at noon followed by a
traditional pow wow until 7 p.m.

She performs again today, at Okanagan Lake Park at 3:20 p.m.

Events start at noon Saturday with a traditional pow wow followed by
performances starting at 7 p.m. at the bandshell.

Penticton Western News.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: