What is a "Quiet time"?

Psa 46:10a (KJV)
Be still, and know that I am God:

When I first became a christian I had never heard of the concept of a "Quiet time". I am sure that the pastors and teachers that were teaching me up until that point MUST HAVE been doing it, but the whole concept was foreign to me. Perhaps it is to you too, so let's take a look at it and see what we can learn....

Although it may seem a little obvious, the concept of a "quiet time" consists of two parts.
1) The first part is the "Quiet" part.

 What does "quiet" mean? According to the dictionary, one definition of "quiet" includes the following...
  • To be in a state of rest or calm.
  • To be without stirring, motion or agitation
  • Free from noise or disturbance, hushed, still.
  • Not excited or anxious, calm, peaceful, placid, settled.
2) The second part of the concept of a "quiet time" is...time, ie, time alone with God.

It is so obvious that we might miss it. What does the dictionary have to say about "time":
  • An appointed, fixed or customary moment or hour for something to happen.
  • The point or period at which something occurs
  • The measured period during which an action continues
  • A person's experience during a specified occasion
So let's put it altogether now...

A quiet time is a set occasion that you commit yourself to withdraw from the frenzy of worldly life, and seek to meet with God. You try to calm your heart, eliminate all outside distractions, focus your attention only on God, and allow yourself to be calmed and quiet and settled.

You may confess your sins and worldly attitudes, re-dedicate yourself to God for a new day, ask God to fill you with the Holy Spirit for joy and service for the day, pray, read a few passages of scripture to focus on God's goodness, intercede for a friend, or ask God for some help.  And in the quietness of the time, recognize that God loves you and is waiting to help you and answer all your prayers. I find that it takes at least 20 minutes or more to get focussed on God and have a valuable time with Him. Your time may vary, of course, but the more time you spend with God, the deeper will be your experience of God, and the more you will be prepared for the day.

When should you have a quiet time? The most logical time is in the morning before you start the day, so that the blessing of your experience will follow you and spill over onto others for the remainder of that day. But you don't have to limit yourself to one quiet time. You may want to have another one at break time, at lunch, during your daily commute back and forth. Indeed, the Bible exhorts us to "pray without ceasing". So it is desireable to take your quiet time with you, to try to have a quiet time all day, to recognize that you are in the presence of God all day. And actually He is, because if you are a Christian, Christ is on you in the person of the Holy Spirit.
(Col 1:26-27 KJV)
Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations,
 but now is made manifest to his saints:
 {27} To whom God would make known
what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles;
which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Here now are some pertinent passages from the scriptures dealing with our devotional life with Christ.
God bless you as you seek to do His will.

In Christ....brother bob........<><

Psa 46:10 (KJV)
Be still, and know that I am God:
I will be exalted among the heathen,
I will be exalted in the earth.

Psa 4:3-4 (KJV)
But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself:
the LORD will hear when I call unto him.

{4} Stand in awe, and sin not:
commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still.
Selah.(=calmly meditate)

(Mat 6:6 KJV)
 But thou, when thou prayest,
enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door,
pray to thy Father which is in secret;
 and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Jer 23:24 (KJV)
Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD.
Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.

1 Th 5:16-18 (KJV)
Rejoice evermore. {17} Pray without ceasing.
{18} In every thing give thanks:
 for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Eph 5:18-21 (KJV)
And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess;
but be filled with the Spirit;
 {19} Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
 singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
 {20} Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father
in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
{21} Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

1 Pet 3:4 (KJV)
But let it be the hidden man of the heart,
in that which is not corruptible,
even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit,
 which is in the sight of God of great price.

Isa 32:17-18 (KJV)
And the work of righteousness shall be peace;
and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
{18} And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation,
and in sure dwellings,
and in quiet resting places;

1 Th 4:11-12 (KJV)
And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business,
and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
{12} That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without,
 and that ye may have lack of nothing.

1 Tim 2:1-4 (KJV)
I exhort therefore, that, first of all,
 supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
{2} For kings, and for all that are in authority;
that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
{3} For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
 {4} Who will have all men to be saved,
and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

IXTHEUS CHRISTIAN GROWTH DEVOTIONALS
ALWAYS FREE OF CHARGE
(but not necessarily  free of COST)
Feel free to redistribute these materials to whomever you want.
Please submit all questions, comments, suggestions,
or REQUESTS FOR SUBSCRIPTIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Request a free email copy of my evangelistic presentation:
"The God Who is Really There" from  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

View back-issues of Devotionals at this site:
Just click on "messages".

to unsubscribe  from  these devotionals,
send an email with CANCEL in the subject line to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
God Bless You.....brother bob.......<><

For more information, please visit our home page http://www.nazerene.com

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS