Personal Mission Statement for a Christian

Q.1: What is the chief end of man?
A.1: Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever.
(from the Westminster Shorter Catechism)

A Christian's mission ought to be to glorify and enjoy God by knowing and serving Jesus Christ, by living in right relationship with myself, my family, and those near me, and by using God's gifts to me for nurturing others.

Knowing and serving Jesus Christ . . . since my identity is informed and shaped by the knowledge of the God who created me, I want to foster my relationship with Jesus by regular attention to worship, prayer, Scripture study, community, and spiritual direction.

Living in right relationship . . . since God made me for community, I want to honor the relationships in which God has placed me, beginning with my wife and my children, then close friends and colleagues, seeking in each to understand the other, offering encouragement and support, loyalty and love.

Using God's gifts in my life . . . since God has gifted me by His Spirit, I want to be effective and faithful in using these gifts to serve the church, that the church may be a vital witness of God's love and grace, and to serve the wider society, both locally and globally.
If my calling is to Shepherd the flock of God,
I will strive to pursue excellence in being . . .
  • a faithful pastor for Christ,
  • a persuasive preacher of the Good News,
  • a servant leader in the Church, and
  • an effective visionary empowered by God's Spirit.
If my calling is to serve the Body of Christ in some other capacity,
I will strive for excellence by. . .
  • Being a teacher devoted to learning the Word first to transform me, then to show others how it can transform them,
  • Letting the Word of God change me by the Holy Spirit
  • Allowing the Risen Christ to shine His person through me
  • Teaching my fellow Christians to be able to teach others in the next generation of Believers
  • Being a consoler of the hurting who shows forth the Love of Christ
  • Being a generous giver of material blessings to the Body, by recognizing that one dollar out of every ten that I earn belongs to the Lord
  • Being a faithful and dependable helper, who seeks first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, when I make a commitment to serve
  • Bringing a joyful spirit and willingness to serve at whatever God calls me to do to further His kingdom: His hands/my hands, His feet/my feet, His eyes/my eyes, His voice/my voice, His energy/my energy, His heart/my heart, His love/my love.
God Bless you as you serve Jesus in any way He calls you.
In Christ..brother bob...<><

--Verses to Ponder--

Col 3:12-17 (KJV)
 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved,
 bowels of mercies,(Gtk=empathy, compassion and sympathy) kindness,
humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
 {13} Forbearing one another(Grk=enduring each others weaknesses) ,
and forgiving one another,
if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
{14} And above all these things put on charity(Grk=agape, unselfish love, benevolence)
which is the bond of perfectness(Grk=the controlling principle of maturity).
 {15} And let the peace of God rule(Grk=decide all matters of dispute) in your hearts,
to the which also ye are called in one body;
and be ye thankful.
{16} Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom;
 teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
{17} And whatsoever ye do in word or deed,
 do all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Col 3:22-25 (KJV)
Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh;
 not with eyeservice, as menpleasers;
but in singleness of heart, fearing God:
 {23} And whatsoever ye do,
do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
{24} Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance:
for ye serve the Lord Christ.
{25} But he that doeth wrong
shall receive for the wrong which he hath done:
and there is no respect of persons.

1 Cor 2:1-10 (TLB)
{1} Dear brothers, even when I first came to you
I didn't use lofty words and brilliant ideas to tell you God's message.
{2} For I decided that I would speak only of Jesus Christ
and his death on the cross.

2 Chr 31:20-21 (KJV)
 And thus did Hezekiah throughout all Judah,
and wrought that which was good and right and truth
before the LORD his God.
{21} And in every work that he began in the service of the house of God,
and in the law, and in the commandments, to seek his God,
he did it with all his heart, and prospered.

Prov 3:1-12 (KJV)
 My son, forget not my law;
but let thine heart keep my commandments:
{2} For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
{3} Let not mercy and truth forsake thee:
 bind them about thy neck;
write them upon the table of thine heart:
{4} So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.

 {5} Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
 {6} In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.
 {7} Be not wise in thine own eyes:
 fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
 {8} It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
 {9} Honour the LORD with thy substance,
and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
{10} So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine. {11} My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction: {12} For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

{3} I came to you in weakness--timid and trembling.
{4} And my preaching was very plain,
not with a lot of oratory and human wisdom,
 but the Holy Spirit's power was in my words,
proving to those who heard them that the message was from God.

{5} I did this because I wanted your faith to stand firmly upon God,
not on man's great ideas.
{6} Yet when I am among mature Christians
I do speak with words of great wisdom,
but not the kind that comes from here on earth,
and not the kind that appeals to the great men of this world,
who are doomed to fall.

{7} Our words are wise because they are from God,
telling of God's wise plan to bring us into the glories of heaven.
This plan was hidden in former times,
 though it was made for our benefit before the world began.
{8} But the great men of the world have not understood it;
if they had, they never would have crucified the Lord of Glory.

{9} That is what is meant by the Scriptures which say
that no mere man has ever seen, heard, or even imagined
what wonderful things God has ready for those who love the Lord.
{10} But we know about these things
because God has sent his Spirit to tell us,
and his Spirit searches out and shows us all of God's deepest secrets.

IXTHEUS CHRISTIAN GROWTH DEVOTIONALS
ALWAYS FREE OF CHARGE
(but not necessarily  free of COST)
Feel free to redistribute these materials to whomever you want.
Please submit all questions, comments, suggestions,
or REQUESTS FOR SUBSCRIPTIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Request a free email copy of my evangelistic presentation:
"The God Who is Really There" from  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

View back-issues of Devotionals at this site:
Just click on "messages".

to unsubscribe  from  these devotionals,
send an email with CANCEL in the subject line to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
God Bless You
In Christ.....brother bob.......<><

For more information, please visit our home page http://www.nazerene.com

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS