If you're an ASP or VB programmer now, then it makes sense to use VB.Net. If you're a Java/C/C++ programmer then it makes sense to use C#. Since you're asking a C# forum, most replies will be for C#...
After the compiler, it all gets munged into the same IL code, some languages just take a different path to get there. At this point in time, just pick one that makes sense for you and the company. You'll get a lot of resistance if you try to adopt C# when the rest of the company talent is using VB based languages, the learning curve will be greater.
Now this is my reasoning why I chose C#...
I like the fact that it's a little more compact to type.
It's very similar to _javascript_ so switching from serverside to clientside code is easier for me.
It has the stigma of being a real programming language over VB (which is not a correct statement)
I like "overloading" vs "optional parameters" (it makes me think harder to make efficient code)
Syntax seems more logical to me.
Reasons I like VB.Net
Source code is easily human readable to the technically challenged, this alone is a great benefit as I can walk managers or clients through the code and they can sometimes understand the technical contraints better.
I came from an ASP/VB background, so the language wasn't that much harder to learn, I was able to focus on the framework.
Anybody who tells you one language has noticible performance advantages is not steering you correctly at this point in the game. You can definately write some slow and undependable C# code while a VB.Net guru can write some very fast and reliable code. It's all in the execution.
Now if you are writing some financial software that needs to exploit the small set of features that one language has over the other, then the decision is important.
So you can just pick one language, focus on the OO aspect of it (if you're coming from a procedural language) and learn the framework and how to use all the features of ASP.Net. Once you have that down, switching to C#, Cobol.net, PERL.net or whatever languages become available shouldn't be a huge undertaking.
Joe Breese
Sr. Slacker
Alt.Technologies, Inc.
----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 04:22:14 -0700 (PDT), manu singh
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Friendz
> >
> > Would u plz suggest me whether I Study asp.net with c# or asp.net with vb.
> > Which one would be more helpful in getting job earlier. I have just started
> > learning C#. Should I move to VB.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > best regards
> >
> > Manmohan Singh
>
| Yahoo! Groups Sponsor | |
|
|
Yahoo! Groups Links
- To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CSharpNET/
- To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
- Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
