AD| Do You Have the New Holman CSB?
http://l.salemweb.net/holman0804m/devo/
____________________________
W O W - T H E B I G P I C T U R E
by Thomas Nelson Publishers
Paul Takes Agrippa to the Edge of Faith
-- Acts 25:23-26:32; Psalm 135:5-7; Proverbs 25:14
So the next day, when Agrippa and Bernice had come with great pomp, and
had entered the auditorium with the commanders and the prominent men of
the city, at Festus' command Paul was brought in. And Festus said:
"King Agrippa and all the men who are here present with us, you see
this man about whom the whole assembly of the Jews petitioned me, both
at Jerusalem and here, crying out that he was not fit to live any
longer. But when I found that he had committed nothing deserving of
death, and that he himself had appealed to Augustus, I decided to send
him. I have nothing certain to write to my lord concerning him.
Therefore I have brought him out before you, and especially before you,
King Agrippa, so that after the examination has taken place I may have
something to write. For it seems to me unreasonable to send a prisoner
and not to specify the charges against him."
Then Agrippa said to Paul, "You are permitted to speak for yourself."
So Paul stretched out his hand and answered for himself: "I think
myself happy, King Agrippa, because today I shall answer for myself
before you concerning all the things of which I am accused by the Jews,
especially because you are expert in all customs and questions which
have to do with the Jews. Therefore I beg you to hear me patiently.
"My manner of life from my youth, which was spent from the beginning
among my own nation at Jerusalem, all the Jews know. They knew me from
the first, if they were willing to testify, that according to the
strictest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. And now I stand and
am judged for the hope of the promise made by God to our fathers. To
this promise our twelve tribes, earnestly serving God night and day,
hope to attain. For this hope's sake, King Agrippa, I am accused by the
Jews. Why should it be thought incredible by you that God raises the
dead?
"Indeed, I myself thought I must do many things contrary to the name of
Jesus of Nazareth. This I also did in Jerusalem, and many of the saints
I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests;
and when they were put to death, I cast my vote against them. And I
punished them often in every synagogue and compelled them to blaspheme;
and being exceedingly enraged against them, I persecuted them even to
foreign cities.
"While thus occupied, as I journeyed to Damascus with authority and
commission from the chief priests, at midday, O king, along the road I
saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining around me and
those who journeyed with me. And when we all had fallen to the ground,
I heard a voice speaking to me and saying in the Hebrew language,
'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick
against the goads.' So I said, 'Who are You, Lord?' And He said, 'I am
Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise and stand on your feet; for I
have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a
witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which
I will yet reveal to you. I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as
well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes,
in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of
Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an
inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.'
"Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision,
but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and
throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they
should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. For
these reasons the Jews seized me in the temple and tried to kill me.
Therefore, having obtained help from God, to this day I stand,
witnessing both to small and great, saying no other things than those
which the prophets and Moses said would come-that the Christ would
suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would
proclaim light to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles."
Now as he thus made his defense, Festus said with a loud voice, "Paul,
you are beside yourself! Much learning is driving you mad!"
But he said, "I am not mad, most noble Festus, but speak the words of
truth and reason. For the king, before whom I also speak freely, knows
these things; for I am convinced that none of these things escapes his
attention, since this thing was not done in a corner. King Agrippa, do
you believe the prophets? I know that you do believe."
Then Agrippa said to Paul, "You almost persuade me to become a
Christian."
And Paul said, "I would to God that not only you, but also all who hear
me today, might become both almost and altogether such as I am, except
for these chains."
When he had said these things, the king stood up, as well as the
governor and Bernice and those who sat with them; and when they had
gone aside, they talked among themselves, saying, "This man is doing
nothing deserving of death or chains."
Then Agrippa said to Festus, "This man might have been set free if he
had not appealed to Caesar."
Acts 25:23-26:32
WORSHIP:
For I know that the LORD is great,
And our Lord is above all gods.
Whatever the LORD pleases He does,
In heaven and in earth,
In the seas and in all deep places.
He causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth;
He makes lightning for the rain;
He brings the wind out of His treasuries.
Psalm 135:5-7
WISDOM:
Whoever falsely boasts of giving
Is like clouds and wind without rain.
Proverbs 25:14
-----------
This daily devotional is published and distributed by
http://link.crosswalk.com/UM/T.asp?A1.20.28735.1.1698058
Additional devotionals are available from Crosswalk.com:
http://link.crosswalk.com/UM/T.asp?A1.20.28735.2.1698058
-----------
To read current World news stories, National news stories, and
commentaries, visit
http://link.crosswalk.com/UM/T.asp?A1.20.28735.3.1698058
-----------
For Copyright Terms visit
http://link.crosswalk.com/UM/T.asp?A1.20.28735.4.1698058
>>> Share the good news <<<
Please forward this message to a friend!
FREE Christian Book
http://l.salemweb.net/swnoffer0203/
____________________SUBSCRIPTION INFO_______________________
* This newsletter is never sent unsolicited. To unsubscribe
from this newsletter immediately, simply click on the link below.
If this link is not clickable, simply cut and paste it into the
address bar of your browser.
http://www.salememail.com/unsub/20/1698058.aspx
* Copyright � 2004 Salem Web Network and its Content
Providers. All rights reserved.
1698058
____________________________________________________________
TRINITY COLLEGE & SEMINARY OFF CAMPUS & ONLINE
Experience Personal & Ministry Growth
Through Bible-Focused Degree Programs
Associate and Bachelor of Arts
Master of Arts, M.Div., Doctor of Arts, Doctor of Ministry
http://l.salemweb.net/tcs2003tr/footer/
____________________________________________________________
Questions or comments can be sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]