Hi,

All the neo4j official drivers are under the Apache 2.0 license, so they
can be used with an MIT project, there is no problem on that.

About the database itself, there are two editions  :
* Community under the GPLv3
* Enterprise under a commercial license

And you can use Neo4j in two modes :
* As a server
* Or embedded in your code (for java application)

The GPL license is viral when you are using the embedded mode of Neo4j,
because your code needs to be compliant with the GPL.
But it's not the case when you are using the server mode.
For a remote use with Apache v2 driver, there is really no problem (in fact
that's why the drivers are using the apache license).

There is a separation between the license of your application code (+ the
drivers), and the license of the remote database server.

So you can use Neo4j (community or enterprise) in server mode for your MIT
project without any risk (for example, mysql community is also under a GPL
license).
But if you modify neo4j's code in the community edition, you have to put
the code in GPL.

The only point you need to be focus on, is the *distribution* of your
application.

And I have a last point to do about open-source, the GPL license is made by
the Free Software Fundation, so GPL is free software. It respects the
freedom to use, copy, study, modify the code (with a redistribution of the
modifications) .

Hope it helps.

Cheers