Hi Nick,

but I'm not sure what millitorr you're after...

for the start, I am only aiming at maybe 1 Torr or so, it does not have to be perfect. The pump I purchased is used in refrigeration and is specified to 0.03mbar which is pretty good if true.

I am not aiming for a pure vacuum at the moment, the reason behind my question was this one:

When I have a large system to evacuate it takes rather long, granted. But if I have leakages somewhere (for example at the cock that I use to feed the penning mixture to the system) then the intruding air will distribute homogeneously inside the vacuum.

When I have a small(er) system, it might not take so long to evacuate, but in this case small leakages will ruin the system more rapidly.

So basically, the idea is to include a small volume in between to compensate for that. Is that nonsense?

Jens

presumably quite low if you're trying to outgas the components in the tube then refill with penning mixture? As a rule, the more volume you're trying to evacuate the less the ultimate vacuum will be (obvious I know).

What pump did you end up buying?

Nick