Hi again,

I made some tests with my vacuum system today: I opened the ball valve and let the pump run for two hours straight. After about ten minutes, the pressure arrived at 9E-3mbar and stayed there for the rest of the time.

I heated my flanges with a hot air fan for about five minutes, but the pressure did not change at all. So I guess this means that there is not so much residual material left on the inside?

During these two hours, I closed the ball valve and left the pump running. The pressure increased to 0.1mbar in about 3s and to about 1mbar in 30s. After opening the ball valve, the pressure went back to 9E-3mbar in 5s. I repeated this experiment several times, always with roughly the same results.

After the two hours I shut off the pump and closed the ball valve. The pressure rose from 9E-3 mbar to 1mbar in 10s (really fast) and to 4mbar in about 2 minutes. After 10 minutes I had 100mbar or more.

So there appears to be a leak, this cannot be mainly caused by outgassing, can it?

Jens

Hello Dalibor,

my valve comes from Leybold, see here: http://www.ld-didactic.de/index.php?id=ld-artikel&a=378776

With 240 EUR it was rather expensive, but it is the best valve I have found. Also, I got my whole vacuum equipment for free from a friend of mine here in Germany, so this is all I paid.

By the way, this is the ball valve: http://www.ld-didactic.de/index.php?id=ld-artikel&a=378777&L=0

Jens

Hello Jens,

You are definitely right with dosing the argon, there must be around 0.5% of argon and with pressures about 30torr we are talking about really really small amount of argon.. Where did You get the valve from and how much does this cost? I am considering building one myself, but I am afraid of wasting time and money on it and eventually buying a real one :-D

Thanks!

Dalibor