Hello Ron,

I will keep looking for a more suitable valve, but in the meantime I will try to fix it with some grease to see if that changes anything.

Do you have a recommendation for some valves with flanges?

Jens

    Hello!

Look carefully at what you described. The ball valve is the culprit, rated for vacuum or not. If the valve is closed, there should be no effect on the pressure if you shut off the pump. Also, as John below says, the packing in those valves is highly suspect. The only packing I have found that will hold a perfect seal is a compressed teflon plug onto mirror polished surfaces. Anything else will dry out and leak. You could try re-lubing it with good vacuum grease, but that will only be a temporary fix. To truly have a leak proof system you will have to change out that valve it looks like. You can find a high vacuum bellows sealed valve on ebay for a lot less than you paid for the needle valve!

ron