I had been half hoping to see some clarification to this point of John's
original question, because there are certainly EU regulations concerning
hazardous substances (Ne may be inert, but you can find Hg, Be, other
nasties.)

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:29:27 PM UTC+10:30, electrofish wrote:

> 2.  Are there any import restrictions to the UK due to the content ie neon
> etc?

I had wondered whether this affected non-commercial quantities of products,
thinking as to whether I could assemble PCBs with proper, er, lead-based,
solder and then send them to the UK. A compliance expert at Element14
(Farnell/Newark) gave me a very guarded answer of yes - but not sure if he
was uncertain and assuming the worst. Even if this were the case for NEW
stuff, there remains the question if this would also apply to equipment
containing 'heritage' parts - and those parts themselves.

The three four-letter acronyms that I believe may be of concern are
REACH[1], RoHS[2], and WEEE[3].

Cheers

1 - http://echa.europa.eu/web/guest/regulations/reach
2 - http://www.bis.gov.uk/nmo/enforcement/rohs-home