Just as Nick said.. Hg doping extends the life of the tube approx. 40
times (5.000 vs 200.000 hours). But the lifetime is not exactly
determined, the glass envelope is gradually covered by sputtered metal
thus limiting the brightness and making it look bad. Hg doping is not
diffucult and is definitely worth of the time spend with it..

Dalibor

2013/7/5 Nick <n...@desmith.net>:
> On Thursday, 4 July 2013 21:50:43 UTC+1, Matthew Cameron wrote:
>>
>> The neat thing is that if nixie tube production becomes continuous again,
>> we will not need the long life that mercury provides.
>> Maybe I am being too hopeful, but I think that smaller groups
>> manufacturing their own stuff will become easier in the coming
>> decades, not harder.
>

> Without Hg doping, a tube's life is very short. As these tubes are
> essentially individually hand built and not mass-produced, the estimated
> per-piece price is well over USD 100. The process is complex and
> labour-intensive.
>
> Nobody is going to be very happy at paying that sort of money for a tube to
> use in a clock that has to be replaced every year.
>
> Realistically, Hg doping is the way forward (as it was in the past as
> well...)
>
> Nick

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/afffa90c-ab2a-46d1-aec9-c3b2445837a0%40googlegroups.com.

Dalibor Farny