Last week, I went to the TRW Swapmeet. I met a pair of our neon buddies,
Westdave, and Gary, at one of vendor booths. The vendor had a bunch of
element discharge tubes. Not the regular noble gas tubes, like neon or
helium, but of mostly vaporized metal, gold, mercury ... He wanted $25 a
piece for them. Dave and Gary picked up a couple each. Me, being a cheap
SOB, and seeing they weren't dekatrons, passed. Later at Gary's house, we
wanted to light them up. Gary use to have a plasma globe. If you stick a
nixie tube near it, the tube would glow. But it had been broken, and he
thrown it out. No big deal, he has a tesla coil in the garage. Again, no
go, since it was dismantled, and he was in the middle rebuilding it. No
glow joy, that day.

Well I threw together this little toy, to throw out a few KV of AC, to make
a few ions:

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-g1WFoBG9Q0A/VPie4ikNHYI/AAAAAAAAUj8/1qp4E0CaH8I/s1600/Plasma_Gen01.jpg>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CrwNczn3kX8/VPifMcnNWQI/AAAAAAAAUkE/PkTQ2dlChxA/s1600/Plasma_Gen03.jpg>

The circuit, is pretty simple. It just my nixie supply circuit, adjusted to
output 300VDC But instead of using a simple coil, I used a transformer. The
primary side, makes a 300Vpp pulse. The transformer has a ~20:1 turns
ratio. 16 turns on the primary, and a tad over 300 on the secondary. The
key was isolate not only the primary from secondary,but successive layers
of the secondary. They maybe more kapton tape on it than wire !

The tubes are not plugged into a socket, but on a conductive platform (wire
mesh), that's hooked up to HV. That green wire hanging out, is also the HV.
Touch a gas filled tube to it, and it will lite up ! It's also portable. I
powered it from a 12VDC source, I often drag along with me.