On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 9:00:20 AM UTC-4, Greg P wrote:

> I'd say so, Terry.  I know Jeff Thomas (RIP) had purchased upwards of
> 8,000 if not more of them when he was selling his IN-18 based NixiChron
> back in the 2005 time frame.  Subsequently, many more IN-18 based clocks
> have been sold since and continue to sell.

Yup. I remember a picture of him with stacks and stacks of IN-18 cartons.

> What puzzles me is; if they're not being manufactured anymore, how many
> were truly in surplus?   Had to be tens of thousands as the supply never
> seems to dry up.

Trying to comprehend how the Soviet production system worked is probably
impossible for westerners. I can certainly imagine that it was simply a
case of nobody telling the factory to stop producing them, and thousands
and thousands piling up and overflowing wherever the factory could find a
place to store them.

There are some displays that seem to be actually rare - I went looking for
IV-26 Type 2 and couldn't find any (other than single-digit quantities) and
neither could the sellers I contacted. By comparison, I had quotes for Type
1 from multiple sellers listing quantity prices at the 1,000 and 5,000
levels. And the IV-26 is an odd display - they were made by Orzep for the
sole purpose of being put into clocks made by Reflektor, despite the latter
being a major producer of display tubes.

There are some oddities like the UDT-3. Every one I've seen has been an
intentional dud with an internal shorting bar.

And then there are the really rare parts, like this:
https://www.tmk.com/transient/6F5S8587-s.jpg