I believe its like with a lot of russian/soviet products, they were
produced in factories all day, just to keep all people the job (planed
economy). Like  IN-12, there are so many those available, they are sold in
quantities of 100 for about 100$ on ebay.

And i believe many of the Auctions that include 10+ IN18 Pieces are sold to
sell them later again, instead of use.

I've seen a pic on ebay last week, dated 2005, selling IN-18. I bet that
guy bought them for like 10-20$ per piece and now sell them for the double.