John,

TI makes a thing called the Tiva C Launchpad. A sub $20 ARM board with USB (even Ethernet on some models!). It can be programmed with Energia, which is a spinoff of the Arduino IDE.

Basically, an Arduino style board with a lot more CPU power.

I still haven't found how to integrate the CPU into a user project without the board, while retaining the easy reprogramming. The LaunchPad boards have TWO ARM CPUs on them.

The $20 board with Ethernet
http://www.ti.com/tool/ek-tm4c1294xl

The $13 board without Ethernet
http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/launchpads-connected-ek-tm4c123gxl.html