On 27/04/2016 17:51, gregebert wrote:
I use openSCAD, and create a mathematical model using cylinders. Since
tube sockets use symmetrical placement, it's easy to create a loop with
X & Y offsets. I also do the replicating (so I can print multiple
sockets at the same time) within the code. It's just simple math +
looping, but it does consume a lot of CPU time. Took ~25 minutes to
render 25 sockets.

Which slicer are you using with your printer? I ask as most will be able to do multiple copies of an object for you at slicing time. In Slic3r, for example, you use the "plater" to arrange multiples on the bed. That way you cut down openscad render time and can experiment with how many copies you can print at a time without a re-render.

Cheers,
      Robin.

After rendering, I export into .stl format.

For printing, I use Cura to import the .stl file and export as gcode. My
printer supposedly works best when printing a gcode file from a microSD
card, rather than the USB port.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/21f3eb79-faac-4b0a-86d0-5d8cdbee4623%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/21f3eb79-faac-4b0a-86d0-5d8cdbee4623%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.