For some reason the parcel could have been assigned a new code when
crossing the border. It happened once to me on a pack coming from Germany
as I recall.

You may ask the buyer if he still has the envelope to check for other
tracking code stickers. So you may find out where it spent all that time.

Also consider that after two months or so the origin postal service (usps)
may expire the code and it becomes untrackable.

On a side note I am currently waiting several small shipments from China
that have been traveling 45+ days (to Italy).

Paolo
Italy