Yep, those old plain 7400 series TTL ics are little juice-hogs!

Changing that whole thing over to 74LS is a good idea.
The plain old 7400 series TTL works ok, but it hogs a lot
more current, and it's also much more susceptible to noise
and transient spikes.  74LS series is a vast improvement!

But, you are correct in your observation that when changing
from plain 74XX to 74LSXX, that particular attention must be
paid to current availability.

Swapping out those resistors sounds reasonable.

$4.95/mo. National Dialup, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus, 5mb personal web space. 5x
faster dialup for only $9.95/mo. No contracts, No fees, No Kidding! See
http://www.All2Easy.net for more details!