The problem is that if the segment currents stated in the Burroughs
datasheet are summed-up for various characters, many characters exceed the
max-spec for anode current. However, the average character-current is
on-par with the max anode-current spec. Unfortunately, we'll never know
what Burroughs intended.

I took a different approach and gathered a lot of data on my 7971's,
including a guesstimate of the current that gives good visual illumination
for each segment.
When I scaled-back the spec-value for segment currents to get most
characters within the 22mA max anode-current spec, I found that the
'visually good' current was on-par with the scaled current. What I ended up
with is segment currents that are visually good, and within the
max-anode-current spec limit (slightly over for 2 characters).

Hopefully I will have time this weekend to finish my board and try it out.