Depends upon which segments are bad; you can still get many characters to
display.
Also, are the failed segment(s) completely dead, or do they have signs of
poisoning ? You might be able to cleanse those with more current

Originally, I had no intention of using 7971's because I'm not a big fan of
segmented displays. They seem harsh and un-artistic compared to the
traditional full-formed nixies.
THEN..... last year I was given a defective (not completely dead) one. They
are so doggone big that I could no longer resist.

I'm interested in paying for shipping-costs for a completely dead one, to
use as a 'museum piece' at work. I'm sure others would like dead ones as
well.