For me, 0805 parts are easier to solder than through hole. The board can
lay flat and resistors aren't running away from their spots, there is no
wire bending to lock them in place before soldering. SMD soldering is
tidier. Plus, when I'm making my prototype PCBs at home, SMD = less
drilling.
I recently learned how to solder QFN parts with a hot air gun and I'm happy
with my results, these parts take very little space and behave better
thermally than QFP because of the pad. However, I think it would be
impossible to solder it with no short circuits on a homemade PCB -
soldermask helps alot.