> I would very much like to get a heat camera. I have been developing a power
> supply and the thermal characteristics are quite important to me (efficiency
> and all that, plus no one wants their nixie clocks to catch on fire!). My
> finger isn't too bad, but is also a good insulator so it is a classic example
> of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle - or at least close: The act of trying
> to take a measurement affecting the very thing you are trying to measure.
> That and sometimes it gets burnt.
>
> Trouble is they aren't cheap. Does anyone have any suggestions? I guess other
> options like a thermocouple would work at a push, but I would still like to
> own a heat camera if the price is right...

$40 will buy you a useable low-resolution one at AdaFruit:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3538 <https://www.adafruit.com/product/3538>

If that's still too much, an ordinary infrared thermometer is not really a
"camera", but can be had quite cheaply from a number of vendors and does offer
non-contact temperature measurement.

- John