The phone add-ons from Seek and Flir are pretty useful and not very expensive

(Sent from phone)
-------- Original message --------From: John Rehwinkel <jreh...@mac.com> Date:
03/11/2017  14:01  (GMT+00:00) To: 'Grahame' via neonixie-l
<neonixie-l@googlegroups.com> Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Heat cameras?
I would very much like to get a heat camera. I have been developing a power
supply and the thermal characteristics are quite important to me (efficiency
and all that, plus no one wants their nixie clocks to catch on fire!). My
finger isn't too bad, but is also a good insulator so it is a classic example
of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle - or at least close: The act of trying to
take a measurement affecting the very thing you are trying to measure. That and
sometimes it gets burnt.
Trouble is they aren't cheap. Does anyone have any suggestions? I guess other
options like a thermocouple would work at a push, but I would still like to own
a heat camera if the price is right...
$40 will buy you a useable low-resolution one at AdaFruit:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3538
If that's still too much, an ordinary infrared thermometer is not really a
"camera", but can be had quite cheaply from a number of vendors and does offer
non-contact temperature measurement.
- John