On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 12:22:10 AM UTC, Phill Scanlon wrote:

> To summarise. The only pins which MUST be identified are the Anode, the
> Guide and/or Guides.

Well, all dekatrons do have at least one main cathode brought out to the
base individually in addition to any commoned main cathodes and it is
necessary to distinguish this one if you actually want to be able to count
using the tube or know where the glow is. However if all you want to do is
spin a tube continuously, then for most basic dekatron types I guess you're
right. Identify the anode and guide(s), apply the appropriate inputs to
those, ground the other pins as cathodes and it'll work. However the
situation does get more complicated for tubes like GC10D, GS10H where some
of the guide electrodes are brought out individually to the base. Get the
hang of things on the basic tubes first and then you should find it easy to
deal with the extra bells and whistles of those tubes.

> My understanding of the dekatron is that the index or K0 pin is NOT
> connected to any other pins.
> The only reason I say this - as I have never taken one apart - is from
> this gif file I have attached.
>
> Guessing that the gif is is over simplified.
>
> Correct ?

The GIF is spot on for a two-guide counter dekatron like GC10B or OG4. And
yes, the index or K0 pin is not connected to anything else in that whole
array of electrodes circling the anode, just the individual electrode as
shown. Some manufacturers call this the 'output cathode'. In a selector
dekatron like GS10C or A101, every one of those purple electrodes that are
connected together in the GIF as K1-K9 (RTN) is not connected to anything
else and brought out to its own pin on the base. In a computing counter
like GC10/4B, some of those electrodes have their own pin on the base, the
remainder are internally connected to make a common cathode array like in
the GIF.

Your OG8 is therefore different to the GIF in 2 ways. First K3, K5 and K9
don't connect internally to the common cathode line - they are just brought
directly out to the base, exactly like K0 is shown here. Second, it has a
single directional transfer electrode array instead of the two guide
electrode arrays, so you need to imagine all the orange coloured pins and
connections in the GIF as being absent.

Jon.