> * by useful i mean something you could use for a purpose and not just a
> construction to decorate a shelf.

You mean functioning ?  I have a tube project, in the queue, that's visual,
so its decorative, yet the tubes are functioning as designed. Its a tube
color organ.

I've been bothered about the old SCR based color organ circuit that's been
floating around since the 60's. It has NO true amplitude-to-phase-angle
control. I actually make a TRIAC kit, that does the job properly, and I
plan to make a tube version shortly. It will be using both vacuum tubes,
and thyratrons.

Here's a timing diagram showing true phase control for TRIACs:

<https://threeneurons.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/timing_as.gif>

It will utilize single vacuum triode stages as voltage comparators, much
like I'm doing here, with a transistor:

<https://threeneurons.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/xstr_cmp.gif>

And here's an old tube color organ kit, that does NOT have decent phase
control, even though the author believes it does, and is probably the bad
example that continued over to solid state SCRs:

https://threeneurons.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/radio-news_color-organ.pdf