You beat me to writing a similar reply to the original post, but I wanted
to expand on your use of the lines-powered transformer.  One way to
completely avoid dealing with the direct AC line at all (although not high
voltages, of course) is to use back-to-back low voltage transformers.  An
off-the-shelf 12-volt AC "wall wart" can then be plugged into a jack on
your project that connects to the secondary of a 12.6V filament
transformer.  If you ever decide to sell one of these, this is a *huge*
benefit, because it completely short-circuits (so to speak) the entire
UL/CSA approval process.  This also gives you the option of adjusting the
final output voltage, by simply using another voltage wall wart (9 or 15
VAC, for example).  Note that the inexpensive wall warts *always* run high
in voltage at less than their rated load.

One thing to consider would be the addition of a filter capacitor to this
circuit.  As others have said, the glow of the IN-9 tends to detach from
the bottom if it sees too much of a transient, and this includes the power
supply.  Conversely, other people seem to have had good luck driving the
tubes with pulsating unfiltered DC...

If you do add a filter cap, you might want to insert a low-value (22 ohm,
perhaps) in series with the one of the bridge lines to prevent a large
current surge when first powering up.  Also, make sure the capacitor is
adequately rated for the job.  You wouldn't need too much capacitance - 50
uF would be sufficient, but it must be at least a 250V rated unit.  This
brings up another point: with the circuit shown and the addition of a
filter capacitor, the output voltage available will be considerably more
than the RMS value of the input voltage - theoretically 1.414 times the
input, but in practice under load closer to 1.3.  This means that if the
incoming line is a bit high - say 120 instead of the nominal 117, the
voltage at your capacitor will be somewhere between 155 and 170 volts -
still OK for this application, but unwise to forget about.
~~
Mark Moulding