On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 10:38:35 PM UTC-7, gregebert wrote:

> Long live PALASM !   I used CUPL a few times in the late 1980's.
>
> Were you able to program your device at home ? Most of the tools back then
> were not free, and out-of-reach for hobbyists.
> I remember sneaking into the lab during lunch hour to program EPROMs.

During the 80's, I had the keys to work, so I had free run of the
equipment, after hours. I used that equipment on my senior project, and
wrote my college papers on the company's CP/M computer in Wordstar. I think
I got good grades on my reports, not for the content, but because the
margins lined up on both the left and right side. The company had Tektronix
development systems for working on microprocessors. An 8002 and a 8550.
School had a lab full of HP 64000s, which were always occupied. Both the HP
and Tektronix units cost well in the 10's of 1000s of dollars. By the
mid-80s, however, emulator pods, that plugged into an IBM PC, started to
become popular. Those sold in the $2K to $5K range. By ~1990, the IC makers
started selling evaluation boards, for only a few 100 bucks. I picked up a
Motorola HC05 EVM board for under $500, and it worked well as a development
platform. Of course, now I use AVR tools, that cost less than $35.

I own a programmer than can do MACH devices, and it cost me in the ballpark
of $200, back in the early 90s. I haven't used it in years. Haven't erased
an EPROM, or quartz windowed uC (usually an HC05-C8) in over 20 years.
Don't drop a ceramic quartz windowed 22V10. They break in two, when they
hit the floor.