Be careful when cascading HV5532's. The datasheet does not specify a 
minimum propagation delay, but it DOES require a minimum hold-time of 
10nsec. Even though the datasheet says you can cascade the data-out/data-in 
pins of multiple devices, there are no spec numbers to support this so 
the next-best thing is to route the clock signal in the opposite direction 
of the data. I suspect the minimum prop-delay of the data-out pin is at 
least 10nsec, but I cant prove it.

I tend to overdesign with paranoia and pessimism, so I actually use a 
separate clock pin for my HV5532's when I cascaded 2 of them, so there is 
no possibility of a timing issue as long as I sequence the clocks 
correctly. Also, my clock has a total of six HV5532's (I have 14 tubes) , 
but I dont cascade them into a single chain. Instead, I break them into 3 
parallel chains and use a level-translator IC (MC14504) to shift from the 
3.3V FPGA to 12V for the HV5532. It's been running flawlessly for 2-3 years 
now.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"neonixie-l" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web, visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/08729722-6075-46b9-b05e-0b712c03bbdd%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to