Sounds like you are going to wreck something!

 I have a complete (16) tube text-scanning array built with B-7971 tubes.
 It's direct drive.

 -----Original Message-----
 From: "David Pye" <davidm...@gmail.com>
 Sent 1/22/2019 3:44:40 AM
 To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
 Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Re: Pulsed operation and anode current

That makes sense to me.

I have been testing, as I say, with continuous current purely to get the anode
resistor value set

Even with the full 170VDC across the tube, the current is around 8mA.  I might
decide this is acceptable enough from a brightness I want, but it leaves no
room for anode resistor....

It is interesting to me, as most of the calculations rely on the tube pulling
the voltage down to Vsustain once it strikes but it seems here that that
doesn't happen when passing these kinds of current.

David

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 11:38 Paul Andrews <judge2...@gmail.com wrote:
  I should add that using a higher voltage also reduces the time it takes for a
tube to light up,, which is probably why the datasheet recommends it.