Hi Hannah,

Really enjoyed reading about this project.

It's got a large number of interesting bits, including design, 3D printing,
casting, machining etc, and looks excellent.

I had seen a few of these interesting VFDs for sale via eBay and had a
couple of questions and would be really interested to hear your thoughts if
you have time.

1) is it possible to use a simple H bridge to provide a rough AC drive to
operate the heater?  I presume originally it was spec'd for AC rather than
pulsed DC.

2) for the grid control, was there a reason you needed such powerful
transistors?  I did wonder whether you could have used one of the high side
driver ICs you used for the segments but I am sure you must have considered
that!  Another idea I have considered for grid multiplexing was a pullup
resistor on the grid to pull up to whatever voltage, and then just an NPN
transistor to pull it down to ground to turn it off.  Do you know if that
would work?   I ask as I am planning a VFD multiplex design (my current
designs are direct drive but for 18 segment tubes it gets a bit
unmanageable!)

Regards

David