I'm suspecting a hold-time violation on the serial-data input pin.

Some questions:
1. Are you running all supply (12V +/- 10%) and signal voltages (Vih > 10
volts, Vil < 2 volts) within datasheet specs. Some people have reported
using the HV5530 outside these requirements. Since you are using the CD4504
I believe you have the correct voltage levels.

2. Input-data hold-time (10 nsec), which means the input data must not
change until at least 10nsec after the falling-edge of clk. If you are
cascading devices, there is a good chance the first device is propagating
the data-out signal faster  than the 10nsec hold-time requirement. The
datasheet specs does not specify a min prop-delay, so assume it's zero.

3. Are clock and data signals routed in opposite directions ? This is a
common practice with board layout to improve hold-time margin. With 12
inches of separation between devices, routing the clock signal in the
opposite direction will have a huge impact on hold-time margin.

4. I actually have a separate ground-trace for the HV5530 that is not
directly tied to the same digital grounds of the other ICs. The GND signal
for the HV5530 routes back to the HV power-supply ground first, and then
that gets tied to the digital GND. I never saw any measurable noise, so I
cant conclude whether noise is not a potential problem, or if I eliminated
it with the separate GND trace.

For my design, which has 2 HV5530's per board, and 3 boards, I did not
serialize the data thru all 6 devices. Instead, I serialized thru the 2
devices on each board, and had separate clock signals. So, each board had a
dedicated serial data input and the boards shared the clock-lines
in-parallel. I built a SPICE model of the clock transmission lines (which
have stubs) and experimented with termination resistors to minimize
ringing, and the design has worked flawlessly for several years now.