From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com [mailto:neonixie-l@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Robert G. Schaffrath
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2019 5:46 AM
To: neonixie-l
Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Re: I'm Back: ZM1022 and B-7971

Until now, I have never tried to fix the tube. I was the one who cut the pin
off many years ago but also realize that when I did cut it, I could have
purchased another tube for around USD$8 at the time (~25 years ago). As I
already had 6 Ultronics tubes in my clock, 6 NOS Burroughs spares (which came
with an original copy of the Burroughs data sheet that is packed with the
tubes) and 1 used Burroughs tube (has the "antenna" in it), I did not see the
need to go out and buy another. Of course fast forward 25 years and that tube
could now command USD$100 if it can be fixed. I suspect a lot of damaged ones
got thrown out in the past because they were cheap to replace. I just happen to
be a pack rat and keep stuff like that LOL.

I do not have any spare sockets to try M1's suggestion. I have a large wooden
dowel that I can duct tape the tube to or even a 2x4 if necessary. Soldering a
small extension to pin #17 would not be an issue though I have thought that I
might swap it for one of the tubes on my clock since it does not use segment
#13 and if segment #4 is repaired then it should work fine leaving me a fully
intact Ultronics tube.

I may make the attempt today to see if I can free it. Definitely a scary
prospect of shattering the tube.