It is a dynamometer, and as such, it measures force. In this case, torque.
It is based in the electromagnetic brake principle and dynamic balance and
all of this is done to measure the force of a motor or other rotating
device in a dynamical way.
Probably there is an electromagnet either in the box behind the dial or
within the thick axis. The axis rotates at a speed imposed by the DUT
(Device Under Test), which we cannot know what it was but we can assume it
was some kind of motor/engine.
The electromagnet generates a field that is induced in the axis/disc, which
in turn generates a counterfield that attracts the axis to the
electromagnet. This results in a braking effect. Changing the current
through the electromagnet changes in turn the amount of force. The disc
must have some kind of spring behind which is calibrated in force units.
When the disc is in the "0" position, the force imposed by the rotating
axis equals the one in the disc, thus balancing the system. One reads the
force as a proportion to the magnetic field / current through the
electromagnet.
I hope I could explain it well, but the principle is really simple. The
idea of using a magnetic brake is that there are few losses in the system
(no friction as in a mechanical brake) and the calibration is easier and
last a lot longer.