It's really a matter of what you want for a reference. A
Rubidium/Cesium/whatever reference will give you a very stable 10Mhz timing
reference, but it *wont* give you the official time-of-day. Every so often,
there are corrections to official world time and if you're using a stable
timing reference you still have to code those changes into your clock.

When you use GPS or NTP, all of that global time update stuff is handled
for you, but between updates your time will drift slightly though that
amount of drift is probably milliseconds or less. It would be cool/amusing
to monitor the drift in realtime versus a local atomic reference. I believe
NTP monitors drift and attempts to correct for it and if drift is small
enough it will periodically skip updates; my RasPi  is logging about 20 NTP
updates overnight.

I recall some of the temp-controlled quartz-crystal ovens were holding +/-
0.1PPM , which is roughly 1 second per 100 days. Whereas an atomic source
is on the order of 1 second per 30+ *years* .