I have used these via the Smart Socket concept which allows you to easily
display numbers, letters, punctuation and user defined characters on any
number of these tubes.
I have used 'smart' sockets for B-7971's as well as ZM1350, SP-101 and now
16 segment LED 'starburst' displays.
My clocks display time, day, date, month, year, temperature, pressure,
local wind speed and direction, random words and my latest variant also
displays the name of a place in the world where it is 'Just After Five!'.
There is good support over at the Smart Sockets group and I have a stack of
bare PCB's available if you fancy a go. All you need is a PIC16F690, some
resistors and MPSA42's and you just squirt serial data to them to display
data, define characters, chose transition effects, etc,etc (I'm a bit of a
fan - does it show?).
There are several transition effects including various fades and wipes as
well as a bitwise breakdown and rebuild. All transitions can have their
speed defined.
I have also 'developed' a controller using a WeMos D1 as well as a Teensy
3.2 (mostly because I am not clever enough to code the whole thing on one
WiFi enabled Micro) which does time sync, scrape data from the internet,
read temp and pressure, send random words - or now names of places in the
world where it is just after five. It also reads a PIR for shutdown of HV
supplies when you are not watching (be kind to your tubes) as well as
control neons for colons.
Ask me anything!
- Richard